Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The things I didn't know about PA recipients...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What are some things that surprised you when you found out about people who receive PA - good or bad?

I remember years ago (I was naive) when I found out that some people on PA do actually have jobs.
I was shocked to find out that PA doesn't cover dentist visits, at all, unless it's an emergency.

I'm sure there are more, I'll add them later.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (81-90):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
In ct the health insurance covers everything. Dental vision and reg drs. Where r u that it doesn't?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Good for her! See, some people go on it and actually learn things.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a friend with two special needs kids who is on it.  I am amazed at how she can stretch a dollar and do her own auto repairs.  She's pretty awesome.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Nope, not everywhere

Quoting CutieCrab:

Um...  People on PA actually have to go to job training to receive it.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't know a lot about it honestly, so most of it would be a surprise. I was on Medicaid when I got pregnant at 19. I was pretty much confused about everything, but my SOs dad helped me apply and kind of helped me through it. I lost the baby (still birth) but they covered my medical expenses. It was all very confusing to me though, at that age. I was just more concerned with the fact that something was growing inside of me, lol, I was a spazz then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

IL. They recently sent out letters.

Quoting Anonymous:

In ct the health insurance covers everything. Dental vision and reg drs. Where r u that it doesn't?

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Nothing. Because I've never been one to make assumptions about things I don't have a lot of experience with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Here it only covers dental for children, not adults unless it's a pregnant woman and it's an emergency.

Quoting Anonymous:

PA does cover dental, if you can find a dentist that accepts it, which is a hell of a lot more difficult than it should be.

I'm surprised by the people that are on it. Growing up I always assumed that everyone on it was "obviously poor" like homeless, ratty clothes poor. Not the case at all. I've encountered more people in the last year who I've heard bitch about PA who are actually on it. I'm amazed.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM

hmm in my state if you are pregnant yes the dentist is covered. but also in my state anyone can get the state healthcare, no matter income level but if you are at or below a certian income you pay nothing if the place accpets that health care. for others who make more the costs are done on a sliding scale going by their income. you can also have it as a secondary health insurance, my kids have tricare standard  and they have soonercare as a secondary so basically if where ever doesnt accpet  their tricare then soonercare is used a bit after pregnancy  you are still covered but later it drops to soonerplan where family planning services, pap smear ect things  also that can be done at the health department are free , also behavioral and mental health is covered under sooner plan which is a good thing considering if a mom has ppd or other issues. most prescriptions are covered too usualy you will get a generic form of there is one other wise its still somewhat cheaper. we lost our baby at 38 weeks last year, id offered to return the wic and they refused and insisted i need to remain on it that i still gave birth ect and  still need the nutrition  partly because greif like this does weaken the immune system, they also set up  a nutritionist for me with coping and help mapping out healthy weightloss. i am greatful. we are not on food stamps, or any housing or bill assitance we dont get cash. theres only the sooner plan for me and dh (he has health care through work but has sooner plan as secondary) we watcyh every penny in  our account, despite just havign gotten taxes back its just about gone, we had rough times the whole past year. paid off most debts already, still waiting on dh bill for other genetic testing that had to be done due to our baby girls rare birth defect. we paid my er bill, paid what we owed our  old midwife, paid my dad 1 months back rent plus the $50 he gave us to keep our phone on the month we lost the baby. we went nuts with some money and bought a new shower curtian thats not torn to hell and got 2 new toilet seats as the others had snapped. kinda pathetic we got so excited over being able to replace those things!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting EvilAsh:

I have been on PA... I've gone to the office and I can't say it surprises me, but pisses me off, that these bitches can't afford food for their kids, but are in there playing with the iPhones and toting around designer purses and bathe in perfume. It's fucking sick.

Anyway. When I was on it, my husband was working a ton of hours to make ends meet. We just had a fire. We were homeless. No help was available except food stamps. So we took the help where we found it.

just so you know not everyone who has an iPhone actually buy them...phone providers give certain phones including iPhones for free or extremely discounted...just saying
CutieCrab
by Jen on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Well in Cali its a requirement (when your child hits 23 months), also here they get dental.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, not everywhere

Quoting CutieCrab:

Um...  People on PA actually have to go to job training to receive it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)