Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Re: "Disgusted" - I'm revealing my identity!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 147 Replies
7 moms liked this

I left last night around dinnertime and got back on this morning and there were just too many notifications to answer them all.  In fact, there were too many to read, although I did read a few.  I especially liked the ones that said, "I would never smoke while I'm pregnant.  Ever!"  And the more immature comments like, "I bet she smoked pot too."

Well, here's the deal, girlies.  I started puking before I even knew I was pregnant.  Non-stop puking.  Quit smoking because the thought of a cigarette made me feel sick.  Went to the doctor, learned I was pregnant, and then the real fun began.  I was really excited to be having a baby, it was my first, but my doctor got really concerned, really fast.  I couldn't stop puking.  I was working full-time and it became a thing at my office that when I arrived for work, everybody knew to be out of the bathroom because they all knew that would be my first stop.  I had to carry a plastic container on the subway with me.  I started losing weight, dangerously losing weight, like 17 lbs in the first couple months. My clothes were hanging off me.  I was puking 6-7 times a day, sometimes dry heaving because there was just nothing there to throw up.  I was getting dehydrated (which, for you girls who don't know a whole lot was very dangerous for the baby).  In 9 months, I was hospitalized 12 times to be hydrated with IV's.  And I would puke all THAT up.  I couldn't eat, I couldn't drink anything without puking.  I was given pre-natal vitamins and when I would drink the water to swallow them, I would puke that up and the vitamin would end up in the toilet, so I didn't get many of those down either. (Gasp! Another reason to blast me, for not taking my vitamins) I was given meds to help my nausea, and they were SUPPOSITORIES because I couldn't keep anything down.  They didn't help.  I had to go on bed rest and had to stop working.  I was so violently sick that sometimes I couldn't even make it to the bathroom to puke at home and would throw up in the hallway on my way.  I couldn't sleep because I was so sick. I couldn't REST because I was so sick.  My doctor was telling me, "Look, you have got to do something to be able to eat and drink fluids."  He tried everything, and so did I.  My bf kept getting me different things to eat and drink and nothing worked.  I lost more weight.  I was hospitalized again.  Hydrated again.  I was miserable and scared and so tired of puking, and my baby was being kept alive basically by the fluids I was given.  But she was not in a good way and neither was I.

I had a cigarette.  And low and behold, I ate a piece of cheese pizza and drank a Coke and I was able to keep it down.  Pizza and Coke, no shit. (Gasp again).  And the cigarette tamped down my nausea enough that I didn't throw it back up.  I didn't discover this combination until I was almost 6 months pregnant.  I told my doctor.  He said, "Whatever it takes.  If that worked, great."  He was elated that I could eat some solids again.  So, that's what I did.  I'd have a cigarette, I'd eat some pizza and I drank some Coke.  And I started gaining weight.  I still puked a lot, but not as much.  I still had to be hydrated because I wasn't getting enough food and fluids still.  But I was able to eat a little. 

So, for all you that bashed me for having the occasional cigarette, it means nothing to me.  I did what I had to do to have a healthy baby, and my doctor agreed that, at this point, I had to do whatever I could to be able to eat and drink. 

Incidentally, when I had my second baby 4 years later, I started to get sick again.  I couldn't stop crying in the beginning because I was afraid I was going to have the same experience again.  I quit smoking.  I got sick ALOT, but it wasn't as severe as my first.  Thank God.  I never had to resort to having the occasional cigarette with my second baby.  And I only had to be hydrated a few times, instead of A LOT of times.  Both my kids were born healthy, and still are today.

So, think what you want.  I don't give a rat's ass.  Unless you've been in my situation, you have no basis on which to judge.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
That's terrible. My old trainer had to have a pump inserted for meds. She just looked terrible. She had to quit working. My mom smoked her entire pregnancy. I think the reason I got sick a lot was because of it. But I can't imagine an occasional smoke would do anything.

Are you planning on having anymore kids?
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I need to add here, for all you mothers who are going to say, "Who cares?"  I was accused of feeling a 'tad guilty' for not revealing my identity.  So that is the reason for this post.  So blast away now. 

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

No, I'm done having kids.  I had two, and my youngest is 17 now.  I really wanted to be able to enjoy being pregnant because it's such a cool thing, but I was just so sick both times that it was reall hard to enjoy it.  Would I go through it again for another one (if I wanted another one), absolutely.  But being sick like that was really horrible.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's terrible. My old trainer had to have a pump inserted for meds. She just looked terrible. She had to quit working. My mom smoked her entire pregnancy. I think the reason I got sick a lot was because of it. But I can't imagine an occasional smoke would do anything.

Are you planning on having anymore kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this
Hey. Your kid is healthy, you're happy. Fuck it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

i understand not being able to quit while pregnant and needing an occasional cig. but what i do n't understand is why after the baby is born people continue to smoke in front of there child. My sil did and he came out fine but her and her dh smoke like chimneys and there little boy has asthma and ear infections...then she comes on face book crying about ohh we had to take him to the er ....i feel bad for him of course but its hard to feel sympathy for her time after time bc she can't put down the cigs and smoke out side or not light up i n the car...for gods sake she smokes a cig while breast feeding him...im sorry but thats diguesting...

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I would have been able to go through that. So kudos to you for doing whatever it was that helped you and your babies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
3 moms liked this
It's actually advised by many OBs to not stop smoking cold turkey when you become pregnant. The withdrawal effects are worse on you and,baby than an occasional smoke.

But damn, I didn't smoke until a few yrs ago. (dumb I know) So I never had to worry about smoking while pregnant. I did everything by the book. Had two babies born with health issues while my friend smoked a pack a day throughout her pregnancies and had healthy full term babies who still are healthy today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wow, that's terrible to be so sick like that. At least you figured it out.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
A friend of mine had hyperemysis (sp?) With her 1st pregnancy & was the same way. I don't know I'd smoking eased her nausea or if she just kept smoking because she was so stressed out. Either way, her baby was healthy at birth & that's all that matters. That condition is no joke & I'm sorry you went through it.
MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

No smiking isnt good... But plenty of people smoke while pregnant, even if they do cut down- its not always healthy to quit actually..

But to see you post this huge post, says something.. You really dont have to justify yourself to a bunch of strangers.. Most understand your situation.

My mom smoked & even had an occassional drink i think while pregnant with 3 kids.. If your 25+ more than likely smoking was OK in the drs room! Our genetation is fine! And they did some pretty "horrible" things while pregnant.

I smoked until I got a positive PT. I couldnt smoke after that out of guilt & my body worked WITH ME on quiting. Smoking tasted nasty. After 1 cig I felt like I smoked a pack.. Me & DH both where luck and was able to quit. 6yrs smoke free! But its NOT that easy for everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN