Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Important tax question help please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

So are you allowed to claim your fiancé's child without being married? My fiancé tried to claim my son and we would get back a good bit but then today he found out they kept most of the money and he said something about they are sending a letter. Idk how it works but this is a major blow. We were going to pay off a bunch of bills that would leave us with 200 extra a month in our pockets, then pay for his mother's eye surgery and give some to my mom because she is struggling. Idk what we are going to do now.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Are you filing jointly? Because you are not yet married, it may be beneficial for you to file as Head of Household.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I don't work so I can't file he also put me as a dependent on his

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you filing jointly? Because you are not yet married, it may be beneficial for you to file as Head of Household.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
No. Only biological, step, adopted and foster kids. Who the hell filled your taxes??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

He can claim your child as a dependent but not get the EIC credit.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM
This ..

Quoting Anonymous:

No. Only biological, step, adopted and foster kids. Who the hell filled your taxes??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed107
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

He must've owed for something since they kept part of it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

A website? Sorry I have no idea how any of this stuff works. I swear my aunt claimed him last year with no problems though

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

NO! He can not claim the kid like it's his child for the child tax credit, eic, ect.

If the kid has lived with him all year he can claim the child as a dependant member of the household, but all that will do is reduce his taxable income by the exemption amount, $3,800.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Not that he knows of

Quoting blessed107:

He must've owed for something since they kept part of it. 

jj4ij
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Only if your sons bio dad is claiming him.  Only ONE person can claim a dependent.  If no one else is claiming him, and you live with your fiance, then he can legally claim him.  AND, if your son lives with you and you have primary custody of him, his bio dad doesn't have the right to claim him, you do... and you have the right to let your fiance claim him.  So it should not be an issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)