I think we are going to have this stir fry except with chicken since I'm cooking for my neighbor too:
Glazed Seitan Stir-Fry
30 minutes or fewer
Have all ingredients chopped and ready, and keep them in constant motion over high heat while cooking so they get crisp on the outside and stay tender inside.
- 3 Tbs. maple syrup
- 3 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 12-oz. pkg. seitan, shredded
- ¾ cup cashews
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch strips (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 Tbs. minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
5. Combine orange juice and arrowroot powder. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat, and serve.
1. To make Glazed Seitan: Combine syrup, juice, and soy sauce in small bowl.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and stir-fry 4 minutes, or until golden. Add maple syrup mixture, and simmer 3 minutes, or until seitan is coated with glaze. Transfer to bowl. Wipe out skillet.
3. To make Stir-Fry: Toast cashews in dry skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Transfer to bowl. Heat 1 Tbs. sesame oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and edamame, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. Move vegetables to sides of skillet, and pour remaining 1 tsp. oil in center. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in 2 Tbs. water, Glazed Seitan, and cashews. Cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until pepper is tender.
on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM