Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA. I get really irritated when I see or hear "taking God out of the equation...."

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 281 Replies
15 moms liked this

As a Christian, and someone is is very firm in my faith, it's really irritating to be asked to give my opinion on any topic...but not to base my opinion on anything religious/God/Christian. That pretty much negates my opinion since I don't know how to forget that I am a child of God before I am labeled as anything else.
Everything about who I am revolves around who He wants me to be. My actions, choices, lifestyle, the way I raise my kids, my relationship with my husband, relationships with friends, how I treat others...and yes, my opinions and way of thinking.
How does a person set all this aside to base an opinion? so basically you don't really want MY opinion, you want me to agree with yours?
Don't ask for my personal opinion then put stipulations on my answer.

It's like saying "taking the fact that you're a human out of the equation...or a mom...or a daughter...or white, black, hispanic, etc"... those are all things that you cannot simply forget that you are.

ETA: regarding leaving religious beliefs out of law discussions... our country's constitution was written based upon the morals and religious beliefs of those men...how do we negate that today?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM
12 moms liked this

It means they want your actual opinion not a mini sermon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this
It's a little stereotypical to think that just because I'm a Christian mean that everything out of my mouth is a mini sermon. Yes, my opinions are based on my faith. However, I do not always include background as to the development of them.

Quoting Anonymous:

It means they want your actual opinion not a mini sermon!

CheesyKitty
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM
11 moms liked this
She wants your moral or intellectual opinion. Not one based on church teachings.

Is it really hard to separate your own personal thoughts from your religion?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep! I agree! If they dont want your CHRISTIAN opinion then they shouldn't ask you.

BluePandaDreams
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
4 moms liked this
You can still offer an opinion based off what you believe. All you do is leave out the bible quoting and such. For instance, you can say I find abortion morally wrong because I believe it is murder. Or: I believe stealing is wrong, because it isn't right to take what doesn't belong to you, etc.

When I am having a discussion with someone, I don't want to feel I am having a discussion with a god robot. Even Billy Graham can have a discussion with someone without whipping out his bible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you give an example of a question someone asked you to keep God out of the equation?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I never put God in the equation so therefore.... And I take it as wanting the factual opinion, not the religious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
8 moms liked this
I honestly find it sad and a tad pathetic, that you are unable to seperate your thoughts from the churchs. They dont want you to forget who you are, simply to use logic and form a thought stronger than "because god said so"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

This, exactly.  Not everything is about God.  When I hear people talk like they are obsessed with God and religion.... well, I kind of roll my eyes and avoid them.  

Quoting CheesyKitty:

She wants your moral or intellectual opinion. Not one based on church teachings.

Is it really hard to separate your own personal thoughts from your religion?

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel bc you are a christian and many of  your personal opinions (if not all) are based on your religion. However, when it comes to what laws should be passed you should look beyond religion and use the constitution not the bible for your debate. It's one thing to believe that drinking is a sin and another to try to prevent others (who don't believe as you do) from drinking. Are there nonreligious arguments for prohibition? yes, absolutely. That's what should be used in a political debate. 

No if some one says I'm thinking about going and getting wasted is that a good idea? that would be the appropriate time to say "I believe drinking is sinful because x,y and z."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)