Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wedding catering. ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
If you're inviting 180 guests to your wedding and you're trying to save on catering costs, what would you do?

Would make the wedding menu yourself? Have a potluck? Have a picnic?

What would the ideal thing to do be?

I'm curious.

Ok I was wondering because someone I know is gettin married this summer. She just posted something on fb to the effect of "we have this menu and I need your help!" She links to a menu which has 20 different food items (apps to sandwiches to desserts). It came off as can you buy and prepare this for us (she did this overfb to all of her friends, not as a private msg). They are self catering I guess.

I understand being frugal! But this is a first for me. I *could*do potluck...I can whip out a casserole like nobody's business...but not something I would necessarily burden wedding guests with IMO.
Is this the new thing? She says they want to self cater but then turns around and asks all family and friends to provide food for a specific menu for 180 guests?

Tbh my first thought was cut down the wedding guests.

Anyways just something I'd never seen before! Should be an interesting wedding! Not sure what they will do if no one shows up to cook?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StrangeDays
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Either a potluck-style buffet or just make all or most of the food myself. Whatever I couldn't make, I would order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saintsational
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
5 moms liked this

Not invite 180 people. Potluck for a wedding is tacky. And you don't want to do the cooking yourself.

Try doing a buffet instead of sit down. Call restaurants instead of caterers.

ktwister
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't do a potluck for 180 people, potluck seems more appropiate for a very small wedding.

The only way I would invite 180 people is if I could afford the catering to feed them, even if it was only finger foods and I would make the time mid-afternoon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Bump
sheymann
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Why is potluck for a wedding tacky?

Quoting Saintsational:

Not invite 180 people. Potluck for a wedding is tacky. And you don't want to do the cooking yourself.

sheymann
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think about 100 will show to my wedding. I'm going to do a buffet catering from a local BBQ place.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

We went to a super casual wedding last year that was one of my favorite weddings--they had a very simple BBQ/cookout style menu and the food was delicious.  The bride's family made all of the side dishes and salads, and the caterer made pit beef and BBQ chicken.  I think they had corn on the cob, caesar salad, tomato salad, cole slaw, a small wedding cake and assorted sweets.  It was GREAT.

MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
You could always do a drinks and appetizer menu.

We invited 125 and did a buffet style my sisters and aunts each made(or catered) a dish. We ended up with so much food left over.lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Meloney413
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Because the Bride & Groom are suppose to provide that... they're the one's getting married and having the wedding... if they dont want to feed their guest they should have just had a court house wedding...

Quoting sheymann:

Quoting Saintsational:

sheymann
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I know a couple who didn't have much money. They wanted a wedding, but couldn't afford to feed their guests so they had a potluck. They didn't want to have a courthouse wedding because they wanted their friends and family there. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Quoting Meloney413:

Because the Bride & Groom are suppose to provide that... they're the one's getting married and having the wedding... if they dont want to feed their guest they should have just had a court house wedding...

Quoting sheymann:

Quoting Saintsational:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)