Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lolita

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

So, If you don't know the book, it is about a middle-aged man who marries a woman because he is sexually attracted to her daughter (who I believe is 13). He wants to kill the woman but he can't get himself to do it, but fortunately for him she reads his diary, threatens to leave and take her daughter with her, but she gets hit by a car and dies. The man then gets to keep the young daughter, and develops a sexual relationship with her, until she meets someone else who gets her away from him. It makes me completely nauseous and I can't believe they would want kids to read it. It was made into a movie in 1962, which I thought was interesting because I highly doubt it would hit the screens now. Just curious what everyone else's thoughts were on the book or the movie.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Who wants kids to read it? It doesn't sound kid friendly at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
As far as the sexual relationship in the book, it's carefully hinted at, it's nothing like a romance novel or 50 Shades of Grey. I doubt it would hit the screens now just because it's not racy enough. I read it in college. I'd be fine with a mature high school student reading it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM

many high schools require reading the book. i think its disgusting. the man in the book is very much a pedaphile tho, as he starts to tell her she can't hang out with boys and stuff like that. It still makes me sick to think of a middle aged man sleeping with a 13 year old girl.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Who wants kids to read it? It doesn't sound kid friendly at all.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I enjoyed the book. I read it for one of my Lit classes. I still have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

True, but the thought of a grown man sleeping with a 13 year old is still disturbing. There are actually several books about pedaphilic relationships.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

As far as the sexual relationship in the book, it's carefully hinted at, it's nothing like a romance novel or 50 Shades of Grey. I doubt it would hit the screens now just because it's not racy enough. I read it in college. I'd be fine with a mature high school student reading it.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 diff movies have been made, though the girl they used was definitely not 12. I think they changed the story a little.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

it didnt make you wanna hurl lol?

Quoting Devious333:

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Kind of...our job while reading it was to get past that a little bit. The guys in the class (supposedly) found it to be disgusting but the women seemed to have an easier time getting into the book. I did get into it, I liked the writing style. I could sort of relate, I guess, since when I was 15 I was with a 21 year old..

Quoting MsMcWithey:

it didnt make you wanna hurl lol?

Quoting Devious333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN