Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weight; Does it cause you to think less of people?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you tend to judge people based on their weight?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

I recently had a family come to my house to consider me as a babysitter for their 8 month old daughter. I also have a 4 month old daughter myself. I have been looking to open my home up to babysitting a couple of children for extra income as a SAHM, and also for the social experience it would give my daughter. I was upstairs when they arrived and my sister let them in. I saw them (particularly the mom, who was very little and athletic) before they saw me and they looked pretty satisfied with what they saw. However, upon seeing me, the mom's entire look on her face completely changed from pleased to "wow, that was not what I was expecting". It was very obvious to me, though I don't think she realized it at all. Needless to say, I was informed via email days later that they had chose someone else to watch their daughter. Before now, I had never really been aware of what others actually saw when they looked at an overweight person. It's like they don't see the person, only their weight. What do you think??

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Those that constantly talk about weight annoy the hell out of me. I dont judge overweight people, or underweight people. I do think that those people who reach 500+ lbs need serious psychological help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

if they're fat I do

SillySally83
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No, never. I don't know someone else's situation. I have hyperthyroidism, my mother has hyopthyroidism, so I understand the struggles some people have. And even if you are just overweight from eating too much or too much crap, so what. Are you good to people? Are you hard working? Do you love your family? Those are the things that I care about.

caito
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Absolutely not. I've been overweight my entire life and I know with painful intimacy what overweight people go through. I share their struggles and I would never judge someone just based on their weight.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I dont judge on weight i judge on actions. I know people who talk bad about overweight and obese people and it pisses me off.
mom_3.0
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I wondee if they are doing anything to get healthy.I am on a weight loss journey myself and have lost 30 lbs so far and many more to go; didnt do anything to change it for years, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
If they bitch about being fat and unhealthy, but don't do anything to change, then yes I do.
sampson200
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I think people who are severely obese must struggle and I feel sad for them. Struggle with breathing to walking and being in pain emotionally and physically.

I only judge people for things that are easily fixible; like being smelly.

Dude, you're smelly. A bath ISN'T that tough.

Or gross breath; dudes, regular checkups, brushings, and some minty gum will clear that up.

But being overweight?

I'm not a perfect BMI.

I also comprehend that others lead different lives and have difficulties . . . we cannot all be perfect :)

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
To be honest, I do pity morbidly obese people and wonder how they got there. I try not to let it color my perception of their character, but sometimes that's difficult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Im overweight. Nit a ton but I am. You might be the nicest person in the world and even worthy if best friend status. But I would not pay an obese person to watch my kids full time. So in this instance yes I would judge. I would want a person who is going to feed my child healthy. Take them outside and play with them. Go on walks. Someone who can rescue my kid from the top of a slide when they are scared etc. I would assume that an obese person could not keep up or provide the environment I wish my kids to be in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN