Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I get him to stop talking with his mouth full!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
It's so frustrating. He's 3.5 and has been doing this his entire life.

I've tried leading by example by showing him how he's supposed to eat.
Ive tried ignoring it.
I've tried time outs.
I've taught him how to eat with his mouth closed because I had hoped that would help.
I've tried telling him his meal was over the first time he started talking with his mouth full.

I'm so frustrated, he's even choked with his mouth full and was talking and I've explained to him it was because he was talking with food in his mouth.

So what else can I do? He ends up spitting when he does it accidentally plus he chokes, he needs to stop I just don't know how to make him stop.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

When he starts talking, hold up one finger (as if to say "wait") and say "No, chew your food" and repeat it again and again.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Right now I sound like a broken record. "We don't talk with our mouth full" "we don't talk with our mouth full" "we don't talk with our mouth full"

Ill try the finger thing you suggested

Quoting jillbailey26:

When he starts talking, hold up one finger (as if to say "wait") and say "No, chew your food" and repeat it again and again.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It sucks, but sometimes that's what you have to do in order for them to get it through their head.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Right now I sound like a broken record. "We don't talk with our mouth full" "we don't talk with our mouth full" "we don't talk with our mouth full"

Ill try the finger thing you suggested

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)