Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for Christians - no hate here. *ETA in red*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am an atheist, and I am curious since I'm seeing so many "godliness = goodness" posts today.

First let me start by saying; if you have faith in a god or gods, no matter your religion, and you are good person, great! I LOVE good people, no matter their beliefs.

However, I wonder, do you believe that if you didn't have faith in your god or gods that you wouldn't be able to be a good person?

I ask this because, as an atheist who is a good person... that scares the shit out of me, seriously. I mean, if you think that without god and the promise of heaven or fear of hell that you would just be out killing people and stealing from them, that's fucking scary! I am good without god, and I'd like to believe that religious people would also be good without god... say you never heard of god, wouldn't you still be a good person?

I want to thank you ladies for this discussion. I am enjoying the different interpretations of your faith and learning how and what you believe, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness of your responses. I was a little scared this would turn into a screaming match between believers and nons, and am impressed by your class and respect. Thank you all!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Very beautifully stated. Thank you.

Quoting tifbrown:

I can't live my life with my heart filled with negativity. 

TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I was a good person before. Now, I strive to be better and my faith helps me in tough times. 

ZsMommy
I totally don't get the obsession with red velvet cake and everything else under the sun "red velvet" flavored. It's nothing more than tons of red food coloring and a hint of cocoa. Can someone please explain why every one is so obsessed?
Yesterday at 1:49 AM
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to think of myself as being a "better" person (a better Me-not better than others-just ME) after accepting Christ than my "before acceptance".

I've always tried to be a "good" person-but I'm human-we all are. None of us are without faults/sins/screw ups/mistakes. But having an acceptance of faith it makes me want to be better than just the "okay" (what I originally classified as good) me.

I have still have my bad days-I'm far from the "self righteous" style Christian who "thinks" they're better cuz of faith,that's not me. I'm a daily work in progress. But I can admit that.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I do not believe that atheists can't be moral anymore than I believe that christians can't be immoral. Now there are determanists (they believe God decided if you would go to heaven or hell before you were born and you can't change it) who might say that your atheism is bc you have a bad nature and will go to hell no matter what. 

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I don't believe, that your belief in a God or higher being makes you a good person.

I believe your faith - in whatever it is you have faith in, be it a God or just your own humanity helps to make you a good person.

My faith in God doesn't make me a good person, but it sure does help me in becoming one.

Beautiful31mom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Religion or lack there of does not make a person Good or evil, their actions do.

In the words of Sirius Black

Sirius Black: I want you to listen to me very carefully, Harry. You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

wedding countdown

supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yes, many Christians think this, unfortunately. Also you unfortunately used the worst profanity you could use, which proved to the Christians that you are not good. Just a heads up.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Nah. I was a good person before I became a christian. Some of the best people I know are athiests.  I do not think a love for God is the only way to be good. He is omnipotent, and if we are doing something just because we want a gold star, he knows what is truly in our heart. That being said, there are times that I may do a good deed, not because I want to, but because I feel like God is putting it on my heart that I need to.  For example, I hate teaching. Hate it. But recently I kept feeling a tug that told me I needed to ask our pastor if I could take the training to be a substitute bible study teacher. I finally told her, and it turns out that she and the other teacher had been praying for that very thing.  They had not made any announcements, but they were needing a stand in for the kid's class, incase the regular teacher became ill. So even though I really do not want to teach, as I do not think it is an area I am strong in, I am going to do it, because it was something I believe God is calling me to do.  That is the same thinking that goes into other things I have done.  

I love doing good things, and most of the time I do them simply because I enjoy it. Being a Christian to me, however means that I also do the things I feel God nudging me towards, you know?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

What a depressing notion... I would think that if there is a god, he or she would not be so cruel... that the non-believer who is good would be appreciated for being good. I am an agnostic atheist; I don't claim to know one way or the other about god, I don't believe that there is one, but I acknowledge that I could be wrong. If I am wrong, I would hope that my being a good person, helping those in need and standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves would be seen as is it, as goodness. 

Quoting Maevelyn:

there are determanists (they believe God decided if you would go to heaven or hell before you were born and you can't change it) who might say that your atheism is bc you have a bad nature and will go to hell no matter what. 

jaxmybaby
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Scares me too. I was actually speechless when I was asked by someone who has know me for a looong time "What's stopping you from killing someone, since you don't believe in god?"...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)