Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for Christians - no hate here. *ETA in red*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am an atheist, and I am curious since I'm seeing so many "godliness = goodness" posts today.

First let me start by saying; if you have faith in a god or gods, no matter your religion, and you are good person, great! I LOVE good people, no matter their beliefs.

However, I wonder, do you believe that if you didn't have faith in your god or gods that you wouldn't be able to be a good person?

I ask this because, as an atheist who is a good person... that scares the shit out of me, seriously. I mean, if you think that without god and the promise of heaven or fear of hell that you would just be out killing people and stealing from them, that's fucking scary! I am good without god, and I'd like to believe that religious people would also be good without god... say you never heard of god, wouldn't you still be a good person?

I want to thank you ladies for this discussion. I am enjoying the different interpretations of your faith and learning how and what you believe, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness of your responses. I was a little scared this would turn into a screaming match between believers and nons, and am impressed by your class and respect. Thank you all!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I agree, especially about it being scary as hell. I have a firm belief in an ultimate creator and gods/goddesses but that belief doesn't make me a good or bad person. How I treat others does. 

I love this (picture) and post it quite often on FB because I get tired of seeing the posts about "if I don't have God then I am nothing" and "without God ______ (fill in blank)". 

ratchetlee
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I believe that there are a lot of good people that aren't Christian.....

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think my faith makes it all  make sense.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I am going to play "devil's advocate" here before I answer your question... Don't you love people who answer a question with a question?  What makes you "good person"?  Why do you feel you are doing "just fine" with out God in your life?  Was he ever there?  Why isn't He there now?

Now for my answer.... As a Christian, I do not believe that atheists are immoral or evil... a little misguided at times, but I am sure you would say the same about us "Christians"  I often do wonder how they came to be that way.  I grew up in a Christian home and always "believed" - but in the same breath I was "going through the motions" (to a certain extent) and it was not until I truly started taking my faith and making it mine - not my parents' - that I have tried to truly live my life as God would want me to.... aka being "salt and light" to the world we now live in. 

I do not consider myself to be a "Bible Thumper" by any means; I am not going to walk up and thump you over the head with my Bible and say "Sinner, be saved!"... But, when I see something that I feel needs a response, I will give a response.  I do my best to "speak/teach the truth in love" and not judge and not condemn, because as a Christian it is not my job to judge your "sin".  When I see people repeatedly joking about how fun Hell is going to be; aka: never needing a winter coat, working on the eternal tan, and having drinks by the pool; then I feel the need to step up and tell people what I believe is the truth.  That Hell is not an exjoyable place, and really not a place you want to be going. 

If that makes me a "party pooper" or a "Bible thumper" than maybe I do fall in that category.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Most christians I know have foul mouths, it doesn't make them any less christian...

Quoting supercarp:

Yes, many Christians think this, unfortunately. Also you unfortunately used the worst profanity you could use, which proved to the Christians that you are not good. Just a heads up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Im a good person and dont judge on how somebody believes. I have friends who dont believe in God but i respect their beliefs. You can be a shitty person or a good person no matter what you do or do not believe in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not that Christians think we would all be out murdering, raping, etc. if we didn't have God. It's that we believe that any goodness people have is God given, even if that person isn't a Christian. And, we believe (I'm sure I don't speak for all Christians on this) that even the most ''good'' people are still living in sin and apart from God, so they aren't actually good.

WendyJR
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I think anyone can be a good person no matter what they believe. Just like anyone can be a bad person. There are a lot of religious people who turned out to be bad. I happen to be a Christian and like to believe I am a good person, but I am not a good person because my religion dictates I should be one. I am a good person because that's who I am. If I did not believe in god I would still be a good person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM

This is why I am a good person ^^^ This is my creed and I live by it; every day, do something to make the world better than it was when you woke up. No matter how big or small, if you can do something good for someone else you have changed the world. 

I feel that because we're only here for a little while, and once we're gone we're gone, we can only live on in the memories of those we touch while we're here. I would like to be remembered well, and I would like for others to think fondly of the good things I have done for them and turn that around and do something good for someone else... spreading love and joy is infectious, and it's my goal to spread as much of it as I can in this life.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I am going to play "devil's advocate" here before I answer your question... Don't you love people who answer a question with a question?  What makes you "good person"?  Why do you feel you are doing "just fine" with out God in your life?  Was he ever there?  Why isn't He there now?

Now for my answer.... As a Christian, I do not believe that atheists are immoral or evil... a little misguided at times, but I am sure you would say the same about us "Christians"  I often do wonder how they came to be that way.  I grew up in a Christian home and always "believed" - but in the same breath I was "going through the motions" (to a certain extent) and it was not until I truly started taking my faith and making it mine - not my parents' - that I have tried to truly live my life as God would want me to.... aka being "salt and light" to the world we now live in. 

I do not consider myself to be a "Bible Thumper" by any means; I am not going to walk up and thump you over the head with my Bible and say "Sinner, be saved!"... But, when I see something that I feel needs a response, I will give a response.  I do my best to "speak/teach the truth in love" and not judge and not condemn, because as a Christian it is not my job to judge your "sin".  When I see people repeatedly joking about how fun Hell is going to be; aka: never needing a winter coat, working on the eternal tan, and having drinks by the pool; then I feel the need to step up and tell people what I believe is the truth.  That Hell is not an exjoyable place, and really not a place you want to be going. 

If that makes me a "party pooper" or a "Bible thumper" than maybe I do fall in that category.

VarelaClan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Being a good person doesn't mean you have to be godly. There are good people whom are not believers in any god. I personally am a Christian, but know nonbelievers that are good people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN