Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for Christians - no hate here. *ETA in red*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am an atheist, and I am curious since I'm seeing so many "godliness = goodness" posts today.

First let me start by saying; if you have faith in a god or gods, no matter your religion, and you are good person, great! I LOVE good people, no matter their beliefs.

However, I wonder, do you believe that if you didn't have faith in your god or gods that you wouldn't be able to be a good person?

I ask this because, as an atheist who is a good person... that scares the shit out of me, seriously. I mean, if you think that without god and the promise of heaven or fear of hell that you would just be out killing people and stealing from them, that's fucking scary! I am good without god, and I'd like to believe that religious people would also be good without god... say you never heard of god, wouldn't you still be a good person?

I want to thank you ladies for this discussion. I am enjoying the different interpretations of your faith and learning how and what you believe, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness of your responses. I was a little scared this would turn into a screaming match between believers and nons, and am impressed by your class and respect. Thank you all!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Anyone can say they are Christian; it doesn't mean they are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most christians I know have foul mouths, it doesn't make them any less christian...

Quoting supercarp:

Yes, many Christians think this, unfortunately. Also you unfortunately used the worst profanity you could use, which proved to the Christians that you are not good. Just a heads up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If you believe in Jesus Christ, you are christian. You may not behave "christlike" but you are still christian.

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Most christians I know have foul mouths, it doesn't make them any less christian...

Quoting supercarp:

Yes, many Christians think this, unfortunately. Also you unfortunately used the worst profanity you could use, which proved to the Christians that you are not good. Just a heads up.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think a failure to believe in God means a person will be out killing and stealing!  Goodness.  You are constructing a straw man there. 

No one is "good" naturally.  We are all pretty selfish and put our own interests first in life, naturally.  What faith (or what I would call the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) allows you to do is to step out of your naturally self-interested stance once in awhile and do what you don't feel like doing - putting others first, making that apology when you don't want to, giving something up you want to keep, doing the right thing. 

Can people who don't know God do this?  Sure, but kind of like the Catholic Church (I'm not Catholic), if you do what God requires even if you don't know Him at this time, you are claimed (like the RCC calls those not in the Church at this time "separated brethren")  Scripture supports this in Romans 2:13 and all over Psalms and Proverbs:

for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

So if I'm understanding you, it is your belief that those who don't believe or don't know of god, who are still good and put others before them, are kind and don't cause others harm will be allowed to go to heaven after death?

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't think a failure to believe in God means a person will be out killing and stealing!  Goodness.  You are constructing a straw man there. 

No one is "good" naturally.  We are all pretty selfish and put our own interests first in life, naturally.  What faith (or what I would call the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) allows you to do is to step out of your naturally self-interested stance once in awhile and do what you don't feel like doing - putting others first, making that apology when you don't want to, giving something up you want to keep, doing the right thing. 

Can people who don't know God do this?  Sure, but kind of like the Catholic Church (I'm not Catholic), if you do what God requires even if you don't know Him at this time, you are claimed (like the RCC calls those not in the Church at this time "separated brethren")  Scripture supports this in Romans 2:13 and all over Psalms and Proverbs:

for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I might be a "good person" by the worlds standards, but it wouldn't save my soul. The Bible says ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. So no while I don't believe I'd go around killing people without God I also know that I could be the greatest person in the world and it wouldn't matter. Those are the worlds standards, not God's. Nobody can measure up to God's standards because we are all sinners. That is why Jesus came and lived a sinless life yet took our sin upon himself, it is through him that we "measure up", he gave up everything so we could have a relationship with God and spend eternity with him. That is why when someone accepts Jesus into their lives God sees them as righteous, because he is looking at them through the sacrifice of Jesus.

I hope that clears it up for you.

supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wrong. I believe there was a guy named Mao Tse Tung, but that doesn't make me Maoist. A Christian is one who lives by the teachings of Christ.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you believe in Jesus Christ, you are christian. You may not behave "christlike" but you are still christian.

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supercarp:

fallenangel_353
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

The problem is some people DONT know how to be good without religion.. Those are the atheists and such that give other atheists a bad name. ( Just one example)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Well if that's the case, then there is no true christian... unless you have sold off all of your belongings to feed the poor lol.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Quoting supercarp:

Wrong. I believe there was a guy named Mao Tse Tung, but that doesn't make me Maoist. A Christian is one who lives by the teachings of Christ.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supercarp:

Jlpmmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I was a good person before I found God according to your standers, but not to His.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

You've got that right!

Quoting Anonymous:

Well if that's the case, then there is no true christian... unless you have sold off all of your belongings to feed the poor lol.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supercarp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN