Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for Christians - no hate here. *ETA in red*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am an atheist, and I am curious since I'm seeing so many "godliness = goodness" posts today.

First let me start by saying; if you have faith in a god or gods, no matter your religion, and you are good person, great! I LOVE good people, no matter their beliefs.

However, I wonder, do you believe that if you didn't have faith in your god or gods that you wouldn't be able to be a good person?

I ask this because, as an atheist who is a good person... that scares the shit out of me, seriously. I mean, if you think that without god and the promise of heaven or fear of hell that you would just be out killing people and stealing from them, that's fucking scary! I am good without god, and I'd like to believe that religious people would also be good without god... say you never heard of god, wouldn't you still be a good person?

I want to thank you ladies for this discussion. I am enjoying the different interpretations of your faith and learning how and what you believe, and I appreciate the civility and thoughtfulness of your responses. I was a little scared this would turn into a screaming match between believers and nons, and am impressed by your class and respect. Thank you all!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

What changed in you when you became religious? 

Wow, that sounds condescending, but I promise I am just curious, not trying to condescend you at all.

Quoting Jlpmmom:

I was a good person before I found God according to your standers, but not to His.

Jlpmmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Everyone has sinned and deserves to go to hell. That includes me and you. The difference is that Jesus covered my sins when I accepted that I needed saving, and you haven't done that yet.

Quoting Anonymous:

What a depressing notion... I would think that if there is a god, he or she would not be so cruel... that the non-believer who is good would be appreciated for being good. I am an agnostic atheist; I don't claim to know one way or the other about god, I don't believe that there is one, but I acknowledge that I could be wrong. If I am wrong, I would hope that my being a good person, helping those in need and standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves would be seen as is it, as goodness. 

Quoting Maevelyn:

there are determanists (they believe God decided if you would go to heaven or hell before you were born and you can't change it) who might say that your atheism is bc you have a bad nature and will go to hell no matter what. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM

yeah I know. It really annoys me when people (many Christian themselves) lump everyone together. "Christian" isn't a religion lol. I was once told that since I'm Catholic, I'm not a Christian too. People are wacky. IMO I understand God's love like I understand my own love. If my kids are good people and don't talk to me I'd still be happy for them and proud of them. So that's what I'm working from. If I'm right you're totally going to heaven lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

What a depressing notion... I would think that if there is a god, he or she would not be so cruel... that the non-believer who is good would be appreciated for being good. I am an agnostic atheist; I don't claim to know one way or the other about god, I don't believe that there is one, but I acknowledge that I could be wrong. If I am wrong, I would hope that my being a good person, helping those in need and standing up for those who can't stand up for themselves would be seen as is it, as goodness. 

Quoting Maevelyn:

there are determanists (they believe God decided if you would go to heaven or hell before you were born and you can't change it) who might say that your atheism is bc you have a bad nature and will go to hell no matter what. 

kameka
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM
When I was in an Ethics class in college there was a bonus question on the first test: "Can you be a moral person without a belief in a higher power?"
Over 85% of the class answered no. I was gobsmacked! After the professor told us the result I saw a lot of people reacting in agreement and I just pursed my lips and shook my head, closing my eyes to hold back tears. I raised my hand and the professor called on me, asking what I thought. I replied something akin to "I do my best in life to treat others as I would like to be treated. I help whoever I can whenever I can. I donate my time, money and property to any in need. I accept all people regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. I am compassionate, empathetic and generous. I'm also an atheist."
The class was quiet until someone popped up with "but you learned that from religion" which is when I went in to morality from an evolutionary standpoint.
I still get a little sad when people say this stuff :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I am a christian and I don't believe you have to be a christian or godly or even religious to be a good person! 

kameka
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
What have I done that deserves an ETERNITY of suffering?

Quoting Jlpmmom:

Everyone has sinned and deserves to go to hell. That includes me and you. The difference is that Jesus covered my sins when I accepted that I needed saving, and you haven't done that yet.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I was raised Catholic, Catholics are very christian as far as I could remember. 

lol When I was in public school I remember people making fun of me for "praying to Mary" and I got sick to death of having to explain that we prayed THROUGH Mary, but also praised her for her godliness... after all, she was (as the bible depicts) the most godly person alive, totally free of sin... she deserved a little glory for that haha.

Quoting Maevelyn:

yeah I know. It really annoys me when people (many Christian themselves) lump everyone together. "Christian" isn't a religion lol. I was once told that since I'm Catholic, I'm not a Christian too. People are wacky. IMO I understand God's love like I understand my own love. If my kids are good people and don't talk to me I'd still be happy for them and proud of them. So that's what I'm working from. If I'm right you're totally going to heaven lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I know a few people that "have" religion and they are lousy, hateful people but I also know people that have religion and they are great people.  I can say the same thing about people that do not have religion.

I know I would be a good person whether I have religion or not.

ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I do think there are good people out there who are not religious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry you were put in that position. I have been ostracized for my lack of faith and belief, and it's very hard to just brush it off because it is very cruel to cast out a good person just because they don't believe as you do.

Quoting kameka:

When I was in an Ethics class in college there was a bonus question on the first test: "Can you be a moral person without a belief in a higher power?"
Over 85% of the class answered no. I was gobsmacked! After the professor told us the result I saw a lot of people reacting in agreement and I just pursed my lips and shook my head, closing my eyes to hold back tears. I raised my hand and the professor called on me, asking what I thought. I replied something akin to "I do my best in life to treat others as I would like to be treated. I help whoever I can whenever I can. I donate my time, money and property to any in need. I accept all people regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. I am compassionate, empathetic and generous. I'm also an atheist."
The class was quiet until someone popped up with "but you learned that from religion" which is when I went in to morality from an evolutionary standpoint.
I still get a little sad when people say this stuff :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN