Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's rude to request guests to take off their shoes?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 145 Replies
My sons baptism was last April and I had a dinner at our home after. I put a sign on the door for everyone to remove their shoes. We have a dog who pottys outside and I didn't want dog poo dirt and whatever tracked in for my son to crawl in. Anyway i was surprised how many people where not pleased about the shoe rule especially DF family. None of them have come over since. I've invited them for dinner and what not and always a excuse why they can't. They all wear shoes in their home which is their choice but I like clean floors in my home. Was I wrong am I rude?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Nope. I have a 9 month old crawling around, taking your shoes of is a must.
lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
You weren't rude at all.
momof2gingers
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I prefer them to take off their shoes honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Shoes on carpet is disgusting. I ask people to take them off too, and my kids are 7&9. When my kids were crawling, you bet your behind everyone took off their shoes in the entryway or they didn't come in my house.
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Do you know all of their medical conditions? My aunt wears special shoes and physically cannot walk without them. She has a bench outside of her shower that she sits on to remove her shoes, swivels, and stands in her shower. Repeats to get out and dries her feet and puts them on before she leaves the room. She used to ride horses and had a horrible accident with her horse and needs her shoes. I realize this is an extreme case, but a lot of people have minor reasons why they may want shoes on. I have OCD and I hate taking off my shoes at someone's house.

MrsCountryMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
No we don't allow shoes in our house either that's what a mud room is for, my kids play on the carpet they don't need to play in whatever you picked up on the bottom of your shoes.
.Nobody.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
No. Guests are to take off their shoes no matter what before walking on my carpet. It's a common rule.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I was raised that it is rude to leave your shoes on in someone's house.  I really don't understand why it is considered rude to take your shoes off to prevent tracking dirt all over the house.

MdMom289
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This is a tough situation. As much as I'd like to enforce the no shoe rule, it's never happened with my husbands family. One of them even tracked poop into our home one evening. It was so gross. I am so frustrated. We have always made it a point to make it known that we do not wear shoes in our home. We have a shoe rack right by the door. I always remind my children and husband no shoes, but they always ignore me. I honestly have no clue on how to enforce this. We've had a few non family friends come over and they ask if we have a no shoe rule which I think is very polite. We normally try to take our shoes off if we notice the owners are not wearing shoes. So I have no advice for you. I think it's very gross to wear shoes on in the house, as well. Especially when my children or younger and even now they still play on the floors a lot. 

JadsW
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM
No. It's your house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN