Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attached upper lip frenulum

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 46 Replies

This is not a pic of dd, I just wanted to have a pic ready for people to see.

Dh had this issue when he was a kid but I guess they didn't take care of it until he was about 12, so he had to get braces because of it. I think it's stupid to wait that long because it causes a gap in between the teeth. I am hoping I can get dd surgery in a few years so that when her adult teeth come in she won't have a gap. MIL says we have to wait until she gets all of her adult teeth.

Does anyone have any info on this or have you experienced it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I had no idea it caused a gap in the teeth. I do know kids can tear that easily when they're little.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to the group Medical Advice/ Questions on here owned by Linda. She has a lot of helpful information she can shed for you. 

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
A lot of pedis and dentists will say to leave it be and see if they tear it on their own but if she doesn't by age 5 I'd like to have it removed...

Quoting mich.el.le:

I had no idea it caused a gap in the teeth. I do know kids can tear that easily when they're little.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
April620
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I had braces three different times before they figured out that's what was causing the gap in my teeth. Finally got it removed a couple years back and haven't seen the gap since
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Unless you deal with it at birth (push the issue about how your baby can't breastfeed or whatever) you will probably have to wait. Doctors like to wait and see if it will be corrected on its own. DD has that issue, and while it doesn't bother her in any way it will lead to major dental work. I wish we had it fixed at birth.

Does your DD have any kind of speech issues? If not, you will probably have to simply wait. :(

SavdNSanctified
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I have that. A doctor suggested to my mother that I have it snipped, but she didn't. I wish she would have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Devious333:

A lot of pedis and dentists will say to leave it be and see if they tear it on their own but if she doesn't by age 5 I'd like to have it removed...

Quoting mich.el.le:

Punch her in the mouth! 

Jussst kidding! lol  I would request it done too.

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My son had this shaved back right after he turned 2. It was a really simple procedure but he did go under anesthesia. Took about 5-10 minutes and recovery was super easy. 

CMcLaws
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Dd (15 months) has that and it's pretty bad. Her pedi just said today that an ENT will do it if it hasn't broken on it's own by the time she starts losing teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My son has that and they told us if it wasnt retracted by 2 they would do surgery.  His retracted.  My other daughter still has hers but she isnt 2 yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured