Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me choose a new house!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Which house?

Options:

House 1

House 2

House 3

Other (Cause there's always an other)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

There are six of us and we have 3 dogs. We have had credit issues in the past, so we are going to have to rent a house. I would really like for the kids to have their own rooms, if possible. We are on a tight budget, though. We are trying to decide between three options that we have for houses and I'm stuck. They each have their upsides and downsides. Any input is appreciated. I will include a poll, but I would really like to know why you picked the option you did.

House number 1 - My sister's mother in law recently died. She has a 3 bedroom 2 bath house (with a sun room that could be a possible fourth bedroom). She says we could have it rent free (they have a year before it has to be sold). She will not try to sell it while we are in it. Upside - no rent, close to my sister, we could save money and possibly improve our credit so that we could buy a house in a year. It's also in a good school district. Downside - uprooting the kids and moving, only to have  to do it again in a year. It would also be a pretty far drive for DH to go to work, and then there are the possible complications from doing business with family.

House number 2 - Is in a not so great school district, in a not so great area. 3 bedrooms/ 1.5 baths. Upside - it has a good-sized fenced in yard for the dogs and it's only $600 a month.

House number 3 -  5 bedroom/ 3 bath, 2 bay garage in a nice neighborhood with pretty good schools. $850 per month. Upside - the kids could each have their own room, sidewalks, nice area. Garage space for all of DH's crap (um, treasures. lol). Downside -there isn't much of a yard, no fence and it may make finances tighter because its more expensive.

So what do you think? Which one would you choose?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I would go work option one. Is there a way they would do it as a rent to own so you don't have to move in a year?
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM

It's a possibility. The only problem with that is that the kids can't have their own rooms. When we finally are able to buy a house, I would really like for them to have their own rooms.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would go work option one. Is there a way they would do it as a rent to own so you don't have to move in a year?

1boy1girlmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I would say #3, because to me school district trumps all. Plus I would not want to move again in a year, btdt many times.

the next option, I would say the family's house but again I don't like being unsettled. The gas money would be ok because you aren't paying rent and you would still be saving, is there a chance you could actually buy that house? If yes then i would go with that one.

1boy1girlmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

PS. if you did rent to own you could always add a bedroom onto the house.

katelynsmommy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
One, without even thinking. This would be am excellent time to save and get back on your feet. As far as uprooting your children, they are resilient. Plus side, it's in a good neighborhood and a good school and rent free for a year. As far as the family thing goes, get something written up, by a lawyer, a contract stating what you have agreed on and then get it notarized. This should take care of any issues that may arise. Ask your family about maintenance type issues, would you be held responsible to fix anything that goes wrong, or will they, as your landlord fix them. These are the things you would want to have in place first. So, yes without any doubts take house number one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
like you said about #1, family and business is sketchy. out of the question for me.

choosing number two simply because your dogs can have a bigger yard IMO shouldnt even be a factor, so that right there puts two out of the running for my vote.

numbr three is my choice, id pay a little extra for my kids to have the space they needed. kids come before dogs in my book.

please dont think im judging, you do the best way for your family, but for me, my kids having bedrooms is more important than my dogs having a fancy backyard. either way, emjoy whatever house you choose. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM
If you buy it you can always add on to the house.

Quoting motherslove82:

It's a possibility. The only problem with that is that the kids can't have their own rooms. When we finally are able to buy a house, I would really like for them to have their own rooms.

Quoting Anonymous:

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I would go for house 1 and bank what you would pay on rent and build up a good savings.  When it comes time to move, try to find a place in the same district.

littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I would do House 1. Save the money, build your credit back up and then in a year look for another house

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

That's what DH said. Have you ever added on to a house? How complicated is it?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you buy it you can always add on to the house.

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)