Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you consider adoption from foster care?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 102 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you consider adoption from foster care?

Options:

No.

Yes

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 104

View Results

Why or why not?

If you already have bio children, would you adopt a child from foster care?  What would your qualifiers be?  (Ex:  youngest bio child has to be older than adopted child?)

Would you adopt siblings from foster care and have them room share in your home?  Or would you want them to have their own room?

Some interesting facts I learned:

1. If you adopt a child from foster care, 99% of the time there is financial and medical assistance available to the adopting family until the adopted child turns 18.
  2. You don't have to be a perfect parent to adopt a child from foster care.
  3. There are thousands of children in America waiting to find their "forever" mom and dad.
  4. Your local State agency can certify you to foster/adopt from foster for FREE.

1. Point in Time.

Of the estimated 408,425 children in foster care on September 30, 2010:

1. 41 percent were White.
    2. 29 percent were Black.
    3. 21 percent were Hispanic (of any race).
    4. 10 percent were other races or multiracial.

Entries. The median age of children entering foster care during FY 2010 was 6.7 years. https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/foster.pdf#Page=6&view=Fit

•  

•  

Here are some cute commercials on foster parenting:

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    Bitterroot
    by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

sweetnspacey
    by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Yes I would and I plan to in the future. I want both of my children to be in HS or older though. I'm a young mom so I'll have lots of time and energy I can devote to fostering/adopting once they're older.

catrig
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    1 mom liked this
    I would personally be ok with doing so. My spouse would not.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    mommyrustina
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

We plan to in the future when our children are older. We would now but I want to be in a position to give the foster child the extra attention that they deserve.

mcginnisc
    by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

If we were going to adopt again, no. Our county is notorious for horrible adoption practices... they told my BIL and SIL they were the wrong color and made too much money.. I almost went through the phone at the director and I heard that baloney while my SIL cried in my arms. Dh would not consider it as we have 2 young girls and he would not be willing to take the chance of either of them being harmed by another child...( our county is also known for not disclosing all information)

We've adopted once before and we adopted internationally. I would love to adopt another child, but Dh is vehemently against another child, he is perfectly happy with the 2 we have already. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

atyou
    by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    No.

Because I.don't want more children.
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    momsince04
    by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Nope, especially after watching the movie Orphan... It scared the shit out of me
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    misskriss10
    by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yes we would. We already plan on becoming foster parents once we are done having children. We have already discussed the possibility of adopting too. 

Kleotide
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    1 mom liked this

I would one day like to adopt a sibling group.  I was in foster care and I know how hard that can be.  Not now though.  I would like my kids to be mostly grown up and for us to be more stable financially speaking. 

momto3infl
    by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

yes but would be very concerned with the child having RAD

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)