Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks since I went completely deaf

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 48 Replies
2 moms liked this
It's been an interesting journey 0.o I didn't make the deadline for the sign language class. I will have to wait till August for that. I haven't made the call to get my implant checked out or get the replacement part for my implant hearing aid. At times I love not hearing because I'm less stressed. But I do notice I get frustrated easily when I'm in a situation that requires hearing. I'm learning sign language on my own as time goes by. It's nice seeing my boyfriend make a huge effort in learning to SIGN & take his time to communicate with me. I admit I would be lost without him right now. My kids... Lol my kids are so cute when they are shocked that I know what they said by reading their lips & body language. I'm working on communicating with them. So pretty soon I will have to make a final decision if I want to hear again or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Bump
Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry :( I don't know your situation, but if *I* had the option to get my hearing restored I would. I couldn't imagine never hearing my children laugh again :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarksMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Here is an awesome place to begin while you wait for classes. Be patient with yourself, and be very aware of your hand/finger positions. Little changes can make for very embarrassing and awkward conversational snafus. I found that out the hard way. LMAO

ASL VIDEO DICTIONARY

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
They were the reason why I got the cochlear implant for me to hear. I enjoyed the past 10 years listening to my girls talking, laughter, crying & fighting lol. I would love to be able to hear it again if I can wear my implant with no pain...

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I'm sorry :( I don't know your situation, but if *I* had the option to get my hearing restored I would. I couldn't imagine never hearing my children laugh again :/

BeAmour
by Tonya on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Oh man!!! I'm really sorry you had such a life altering thing happen!!!! I'm glad you are staying so positive!!!

if you don't mind, what happened?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Thank you so much for the link=) Lol I had couple deaf friends that tried to pull some fake signs on me & I believed it too....

Quoting DarksMama:

Here is an awesome place to begin while you wait for classes. Be patient with yourself, and be very aware of your hand/finger positions. Little changes can make for very embarrassing and awkward conversational snafus. I found that out the hard way. LMAO

ASL VIDEO DICTIONARY

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I had a cochlear implant surgery to for me hear in 2003. The past 3 years, I have had horrible migraines along with the pain around the implant site. I took it off a month ago & have been almost pain free since then.

Quoting BeAmour:

Oh man!!! I'm really sorry you had such a life altering thing happen!!!! I'm glad you are staying so positive!!!

if you don't mind, what happened?

DarksMama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I used to get that at times from some of the snotty deaf kids who didn't like having to tutor us for extra credit. It was funny, but sad too. Some of them were born deaf, some went deaf later, but there were a few who had been born deaf who just held a grudge against the hearing world in general. Mostly, it was hysterical pranks. Like the snafu I mentioned before. I was being taught the sign for 'sex' when it was supposed to be the sign for 'meet' (as in nice to meet you). Man oh man I about died when I tried to greet someone and got laughed at hysterically. I spelled out the word I ws trying for, and the guy just looked at my tutor(and friend at the time) and Gibbs slapped him upside his head. LMAO

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Thank you so much for the link=) Lol I had couple deaf friends that tried to pull some fake signs on me & I believed it too....

Quoting DarksMama:

ASL VIDEO DICTIONARY

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Lol I know what you mean. The sign for my implant is I believe is a sign for vampire. I was like ok.... I know some of them in the deaf communities hate implants.

Quoting DarksMama:

I used to get that at times from some of the snotty deaf kids who didn't like having to tutor us for extra credit. It was funny, but sad too. Some of them were born deaf, some went deaf later, but there were a few who had been born deaf who just held a grudge against the hearing world in general. Mostly, it was hysterical pranks. Like the snafu I mentioned before. I was being taught the sign for 'sex' when it was supposed to be the sign for 'meet' (as in nice to meet you). Man oh man I about died when I tried to greet someone and got laughed at hysterically. I spelled out the word I ws trying for, and the guy just looked at my tutor(and friend at the time) and Gibbs slapped him upside his head. LMAO

Quoting Bluescorpia:

Quoting DarksMama:

ASL VIDEO DICTIONARY

alleycat_2
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Im sorry that implant gave you so many problems. My brother has an implant too and I just hope he never has complications.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)