Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's your Immigration Story?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
Unless of course your family tree roots began in the US.

The majority of us have immigration to the US as part of our family history, and I think it will be interesting to see the diversity. That is, if you even know your family history.

-------

Both sides of my family (maternal and paternal) immigrated to the US from Ireland in the 1870s.

DHs family tree is only able to be traced back to his great great grandfather, who was born into slavery in West Tennessee.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Bump!!
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM
My family came from Mexico. My mom came here to run away from my dad because he cheated. He then followed and they got back together and we stayed here. I have been to Mexico only as a child so I have lost my roots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM
My mom's side came from Ireland sometime in the 1800's I have it on paper somewhere, but don't remember the dates. On my Dad's side, one side was sharecroppers and indentured servants, and Cherokee indian, so we couldn't trace that. The other side, cane from Scotland in the 1880's. we are actually related to a King Gregorious. He was overthrown and had to leave the country.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM

my parents immigrated to CANADA from the nederlands in 1980

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I really wish I knew more about my history. I know I got family that came from Ireland & Germany. I'm also part Cherokee but I really don't know any details. I'd love to dig into it someday but feel a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Are you guys "documented" (I guess that's the proper term these days)?

Quoting sweetieiv:

My family came from Mexico. My mom came here to run away from my dad because he cheated. He then followed and they got back together and we stayed here. I have been to Mexico only as a child so I have lost my roots.

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
We came from Germany in 06. There isn't much of a story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Fortunately my dad traced our family lineage prior to a reunion a few years back. It was interesting.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I really wish I knew more about my history. I know I got family that came from Ireland & Germany. I'm also part Cherokee but I really don't know any details. I'd love to dig into it someday but feel a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Lol yeah you guys are modern immigrants. Was the process easy? Are you citizens yet?

Quoting Dinimon:

We came from Germany in 06. There isn't much of a story.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My Aunt had started to trace it but I don't think she finished it before she passed away.I should see if i can look at what she started.

Quoting Anonymous:

Fortunately my dad traced our family lineage prior to a reunion a few years back. It was interesting.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN