Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Of Course YOU'RE Okay With It

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 41 Replies

DD will be 4 on the 17th and so begins the big debate between her father and I of where our child will attend school.  Her father is and has been since i was pregnant that DD will attend the local Catholic school because, well, "that's where he went."  However, he does not attend church and the tuition for a non-Catholic student is OUTRAGEOUS (to me anyway.)   DD and I attend church (Baptist) every Sunday like clockwork. Personally, I have no issues with public school and I wouldn't have an issue with Christian schools either, but Catholic....not so much.  I have no issues with Catholicism, it's just not something I think should be pushed on my DD when it's not the religion she presently practices.  I would place her in pre-k at public school, however, in our area unless the kid is stupid, they don't get to enter Pre-K.  Ugh, I could use some advice from you mommas on this.

This is the cost for K4 for the Catholic School:

K4 – 2013/2014

Registration/Supply fees - $270.00 per student

NON-REFUNDABLE

TUITION: $370 per month for 10 months

Payments are due by the first of each month beginning August 1, and late after the tenth.

A $10 late fee will be assessed for all payments received after the fifteenth of each

month (NO EXCEPTIONS).

BUS FEES

One Child – One way $75.00 per month for 10 months

One Child – Both ways $85.00 per month for 10 months

Two Children – One way $105.00 per month for 10 months

Two Children – Both ways $120.00 per month for 10 months

Three Children – One way $120.00 per month for 10 months

Three Children – Both ways $135.00 per month for 10 months

Four Children – One way $130.00 per month for 10 months

Four Children – Both ways $145.00 per month for 10 months

Supply list for the school::

ST. PATRICK SCHOOL

K4 SUPPLY LIST

2012/2013

* Put your child’s name on these items. All other items do not need to be labeled.

1 box of 8 count Washable Crayola markers (put name on each marker and lid) *

4 boxes 24 Crayola crayons

4 sticks of Elmer’s Washable glue sticks

1 bottle of Elmer’s White school glue

1 bottle of antibacterial hand soap – 64 oz. refill size, please

3 rolls of paper towels

1 box of tissue

2 containers of antibacterial hand wipes

1 box of quart size Ziploc bags with EZ-Zip

1 thin red and blue plastic four-fold rest mat (size 19” x 45”) *

1 travel size pillow with a pillow case and 1 beach towel to be used as a blanket.*

1 backpack to hold a folder, lunch box, & one full set of clothes (no rolling backpacks) *

1 extra set of clothes (top, bottoms, underwear and socks) in a Ziploc bag for emergencies (to be

kept in backpack at all times) *

1 package of construction paper

1 package of white cardstock

2 reams 8½ x 11 white copy paper

$15. 00 Supply Fee + $5.50 Weekly Reader Fee (can be written as one check made out to SPS) =

$20.50

Wish List

–Lysol spray, Clorox/Lysol Antibacterial Wipes, stickers, baby wipes, Mr. Clean Magic

Erasers, bright colored copy paper, multi-colored cardstock.

Helpful Hint:

Please put your child’s name on all uniform items. This is especially helpful with

sweatshirts and jackets that can be mixed up easily.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM

BUMP!

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM
When my son went to a. Christian prek we took him at 830 after religious services /teaching wer e over
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I haven't a clue as to when they do mass or whatever they have.  I guess I would have to go up there one day, but I'm so leery of it, it's unreal.  Every person I have known to attend a Catholic school in my area (including DD's father) has had a wild streak and often party hard.

Quoting svolkov:

When my son went to a. Christian prek we took him at 830 after religious services /teaching wer e over

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Sorry momma my son goes to a Christian prek
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

are you guys together?

idk, to go to a catholic school when she is a practicing baptist is kinda unlogical to me.

brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We haven't been together since she was eight months old.  That's how I feel about it as well.  Also, I just added the cost to the post and it's mindboggling to me.

Quoting bustybee:

are you guys together?

idk, to go to a catholic school when she is a practicing baptist is kinda unlogical to me.

brittany208
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM

My DH is also catholic and went to a catholic school. I am Christian (not catholic, I grew up baptist, then went to a couple awesome missionary churches, now we go to a non-denominational church we love) point being--I understand your situation! lol

ANYWAYS... in our family *I'm* the one who really wants to send DS to the catholic school DH went to. I'm not catholic, but it wouldn't bother me at all if DS was, like his dad. I don't see it as "forcing" him to be catholic. he can be whatever kind of Christian he wants. As long as he believes in the basics of Jesus dying for your sins, believe in him to go to heaven, do good things because its the right thing to do--we're good.

I am a public school teacher, but I love the idea of private Catholic school because: 1. the parents choose to send their kids there---so the parents have to care enough about education to bother to pick the kids' school. parents that care about education=kids that care about education. 2. the parents pay a LOT of money for their kids to go there--they expect their kids aren't going to act up. 3. kids can get kicked out if they do act up. unlike in public schools were the kids know you cant do anything about it so they are awful. 4. better education.

basically--the type of parents that send their kid to private Catholic school are the type of parents that expect their children to behave and do well in school. and id rather my DS  be in a class full of kids who were parented, than in a public school with a few out of control kids in every class that prevent the whole class from learning.

DarksMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Holy Hell that's expensive!!!

afwifeandmommy3
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Is he paying if not then say no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

whats the custody situation? and his overall involvement?

either way, that cost is ludicrious and not my belief, so I would put her in a different private school or in a public school

Quoting brittanyjenean:

We haven't been together since she was eight months old.  That's how I feel about it as well.  Also, I just added the cost to the post and it's mindboggling to me.

Quoting bustybee:

are you guys together?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)