Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DIsturbing hair confession

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 173 Replies
1 mom liked this

Trichotillosis

I have it

(from wikipedia)

Trichotillomania
(pronounced /ˌtrɪkəˌtɪləˈmniə/ TRIK-ə-TIL-ə-MAY-NEE, also known as trichotillosis) is the compulsive urge to pull out (and in some cases, eat) one's own hair leading to noticeable hair loss, distress, and social or functional impairment. It is classified as an impulse control disorder by DSM-IV and is often chronic and difficult to treat.[1]

Trichotillomania may be present in infants, but the peak age of onset is 9 to 13. It may be triggered by depression or stress. Due to social implications the disorder is often unreported and it is difficult to accurately predict its prevalence; the lifetime prevalence is estimated to be between 0.6% (overall) and may be as high as 1.5% (in males) to 3.4% (in females). Common areas for hair to be pulled out are the scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, arms, hands, and pubic hairs.

I pull out my head hairs and pubes, I'm aware that i do it, it started at age 18. I like when I can pull them from the root and afterwards I curl them! I also have OCD and I was going through some things when I started doing this. I still do it. I'm grossed out by others' hair though, except my kids, but i do not pull theirs nor am I tempted to

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Does no one else have this? am I alone on this one?

MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I have heard of this before so you are not alone! Im sure there are some online support groups you could join as well. Have you thought about getting help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM
My sister has it , she hasn't pulled in quiet a few years.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew there were people who did this to their hair on their head but I had no idea they pulled out their pubes too? Ouch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I do this especially when I am stressed or anxious. I have pulled out so much that I have a small bald spot it's embarrassing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I do this especially when I am stressed or anxious. I have pulled out so much that I have a small bald spot it's embarrassing.
rockgal81
by Steph on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
My aunt has that. She pulls out her hair and eyelashes. I'm sorry op :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM
When my hair is straighter I play with it and if I feel thick hair I pull it out. I have black very coarse hairs in the midst if my blonde hair. It's weird. My kids do as well. Idk why I do it. It's kinda weird....lol.
poshkat
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM
My sister had that. She stopped on her own in her mid 20s.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

nah, I try shaving down there and I have a LOT of hair so I dont end up with noticable spots on my scalp AND SO also has this problem but he pulls every hair on his body possibleand occasionally pulls my scalp hairs to curl too heheh.. it doesnt affect my life thankfully it just makes me a bit weird

Quoting MochaBerry24:

I have heard of this before so you are not alone! Im sure there are some online support groups you could join as well. Have you thought about getting help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN