Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

looks like we are in for a hell of a storm

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
MA

Wed, Feb 6, 2013, 10:12 PM EST

Local Radar Map

Updated Feb 6, 2013, 10:45pm ESTWeather in Motion®   |   Enlarge Map

Get WeatherReady

Prepare for Winter StormsKeep Safe During the StormDriving in Snow & IceAre You at Risk For Winter Storms?Get Live Traffic Reports... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...* LOCATIONS... RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS.* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 15 INCHES.* TIMING... LIGHT SNOW DEVELOPS BY FRIDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY DURING FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THERE MAY BE A BRIEF CHANGE OVER TO RAIN ESPECIALLY NEAR THE SOUTH COAST DURING THE AFTERNOON. THE RAIN SHOULD SWITCH BACK TO HEAVY SNOW BY FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING... WHEN THE BULK OF THE STORM IS EXPECTED.* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW AND VERY STRONG WINDS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR POSSIBLE. TRAVEL MAY BECOME NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.* WINDS... NORTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 65 MPH.* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH IS ISSUED FOR THE POTENTIAL OF ACCUMULATING SNOW OF 6 OR MORE INCHES IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD... OR 8 OR MORE INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. ANYONE TRAVELING IN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO MODIFY TRAVEL PLANS SHOULD WINTER WEATHER DEVELOP.&&

More Information

... A POTENTIAL HISTORIC WINTER STORM AND BLIZZARD IS EXPECTED TO DROP 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
The last time we had a storm this big, it killed 100 people in my state. So yeah, it's kind of a big deal for people to stay safe!

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is every storm that comes along " historic "? It's snow people, not a Hurricane. Relax.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Just make sure you're prepared. There is a good chance that the power will go out because of heavy snow and winds. If your dh goes to work, he will probably have to stay there until it's safe enough to come home. They will most likely shut the highways down because there's just no way to drive in that much snow (but people will still try and regret it) It will be ok though. We have LOTS of snow storms and make it through. You just need to listen to officials and be prepared to stay inside for awhile. On the good side.... Don't worry and make it fun, if your kids are old enough, they will remember this for the rest of their lives ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I am freaked out. This is my winter in new england. We are on the shoreline ct. They said we might get 18-24 inches of snow. Is that enough for power to go out? Will they plow the roads DH is military and has to work Saturday? How do I prepare? Sorry if this sounds dumb. I am from the deep south never seen more than flurries in my life.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beautiful31mom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Stay Safe!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Oh no! We were out for 11 days after Sandy! Those out of state workers were amazing! (And sexy!!)

Quoting Mychele:

Just heard a line crew is leaving this afternoon from Ohio to head out to jersey. Electric company is preparing.

lilfishbigocean
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I'm on the shore, too - where abouts are you?
You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable saying it here.
You said military, so if it's where I think, then you aren't too far from me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I am freaked out. This is my winter in new england. We are on the shoreline ct. They said we might get 18-24 inches of snow. Is that enough for power to go out? Will they plow the roads DH is military and has to work Saturday? How do I prepare? Sorry if this sounds dumb. I am from the deep south never seen more than flurries in my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Yep, and if it sways off the supposed track even a little bit, it could greatly affect the amounts or you could get nothing. Give me a break. How do you suppose people in Alaska manage? It snows constantly. If they lost 100 people per storm up their, they would have a population of zero. Like I said, people need to stop freaking out and making it seem worse than it is. Its a snowstorm. Nothing " historic " about it. < eyeroll

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

The last time we had a storm this big, it killed 100 people in my state. So yeah, it's kind of a big deal for people to stay safe!

Quoting Anonymous:

Why is every storm that comes along " historic "? It's snow people, not a Hurricane. Relax.

mary841108
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM

yeah it sucks lol thankfully my neck of NY isnt supposed to get too too much, but still eff that i want spring now damn it!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

so it snows constantly in Alaska, they are calling for 2 + feet all at one time in some areas that's what makes a big deal. and it's a little more than just "a snowstorm" *eyeroll back at you*

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, and if it sways off the supposed track even a little bit, it could greatly affect the amounts or you could get nothing. Give me a break. How do you suppose people in Alaska manage? It snows constantly. If they lost 100 people per storm up their, they would have a population of zero. Like I said, people need to stop freaking out and making it seem worse than it is. Its a snowstorm. Nothing " historic " about it. < eyeroll

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
OMG!! Alaska NEVER gets two feet AT ONE TIME!!! Oh the horror!! Oh and it is " just " a snowstorm dearie. Save the drama for something more important. It will probably all be melted by next week.

Quoting Anonymous:

so it snows constantly in Alaska, they are calling for 2 + feet all at one time in some areas that's what makes a big deal. and it's a little more than just "a snowstorm" *eyeroll back at you*

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I'm not starting any drama, and I never said Alaska NEVER gets two feet at one time. All I'm saying is for areas that aren't use to 2 + feet of snow in 12 hours it IS a big deal. 

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG!! Alaska NEVER gets two feet AT ONE TIME!!! Oh the horror!! Oh and it is " just " a snowstorm dearie. Save the drama for something more important. It will probably all be melted by next week.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN