Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is kindergarten so hard????

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM
  • 206 Replies
My ds is five, will be six in May. We just moved to a new, and better, school district. He seems so behind now. He can not count to a hundred, he has a speech impediment so he does not read the books clearly, and hes having problems now. He loves his teacher and his friends but is still doing poorly. We do homework for about an hour each night. Has anyone ever had a child who failed kindergarten? What happened to just painting and recess?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM

It's not mandated in my State. 2 went 1 didn't. They are all academically advanced. This last one won't go either.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Whoa...an hour of homework? DS is ahead of expectations but he really doesn't get much homework. I would be less than thrilled if he did, considering he only has 3 hours between school and bedtime to begin with.

I failed preschool as a kid. No joke. I was placed in HeadStart because they thought I was delayed; I'm not entirely clear on why I failed, but I had to do summer preschool to make up for it. Funny thing there - I was later placed in the gifted program because I was way ahead of my peers. He may be having trouble now, but things can certainly look up in the future :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
There are much more intense guidelines for school now. By the end of the year my son's kindergarten class is expected to do simple addition and subtraction in their heads in five seconds. They have to know all their sight words, and be reading level one books. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. I was shocked. I knew it wasn't all play time anymore, but it was an eye opener.
SDarvasi
by Sarah Berri ♥ on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM

An hour of homework by CHOICE or by teachers' request?

karisma22
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM
4 moms liked this

In my opinion they expect Kindergarteners to know way too much for their age.  Some children are ready for it, but many are not.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
3 moms liked this

this generations kindergarten is our generations 1st or 2nd grade, in some places.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this
My Dd is the same age (same birth month). She is just learning to count that high and read. That's the purpose of k, to teach them. Every six weeks they chart her progress, she's consistently improving and learning more so she's not failing anything. She can't read independently yet, but has appropriately progressed. I think it's sad you think k should be all about coloring and recess.
livn4hevn
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I felt like our kindy wasn't hard enough. When we moved and my son started first grade in the new district he had to play catch up... and he still isn't quite there but he's come a LONG ways!!

They didn't teach him to tie his shoes, which irritated me. I had tried to teach him at home and got so frustrated!! There are things like that... that I'm not good at and I sort of hoped the school would teach him. lol.

He never learned the days of the week, the months of the year, the order of the seasons, his home address, his phone number... none of that. We taught him at home. Some of it he already knew, but still... they didn't even review it!!!

Now in first grade all these kids are like, why can't you tie your shoes faster? Why don't you know that Wednesday is two days after Monday? ... I mean he KNOWS stuff but he doesn't have it down without thinking like most of his classmates. He just finished with his first 100 sight words... which he's supposed to be moving on to his second list by January... but he's about 3 weeks behind on that. We've had to do a LOT of work at home helping him catch up.

Being optimistic, he learned pretty fast and I'm pretty impressed with how he learned MOST of kindergarten while simulantousely progressing in first grade. He'll be caught up with the other kids by 2nd grade, and maybe this level of hard work can put  him ahead next year!!!

LiDoMama
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is in Kindergarten, and although she's doing ok, it is a lot of work. They expect a lot and she always has lots of homework. For that reason, we are holding back her brother from Kindergarten this fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My Kindergartner is being made to write sentences, draw pictures and know the different orders of random numbers. He gets 2 pages of homework daily and he's special needs. Unreal, but true. He is also expected to read a book daily. I wasn't reading in Kindergarten.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)