Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

THIS is why Obamacare is costing people more money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, no, I am not a republican

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

They have changed the policies in insurance plans. I have received NOTHING citing these changes.

My daughter went to her pediatrician. Her pediatrician ordered a CT Scan and blood work. We went to register with the hospital to get the testing done, and we were told our insurance would not cover it because it was not pre-authorized. Her Dr. adamantly wanted it done NOW, not later, and we were told the only way our insurance would cover it is if it were an "emergency" basis. Otherwise, it would be $1,400 out of pocket just for the CT scan. We pay close to 3k every quarter for health insurance, and have never had a problem. 

We ended up having to go through the ER to get the CT Scan and blood work done immediately, in order for our insurance to cover the test. I got a phone call today at 3:00 saying that it was finally pre-approved by our insurance.

So.......My daughter's issues costed our insurance company twice the amount because of the newly implemented policies. Rather than just a Dr's visit and a couple of tests, our insurance had to pay for her Dr's visit, ER visit AND the tests. 

WTF??!?!?!?!?!? Thank your president and the people who passed these changes.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Not only is the insurance company incurring extra costs, so is my family on top of crazy premiums. 

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:50 AM

It really is ridiculous. But couldn't your doctor have just said he felt it was an emergency situation? usually a letter and phone call will suffice.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:51 AM
4 moms liked this

This is not due to Obamacare. Honestly, this has been going on for years and your insurance company is just catching on. My company requires prior authorization for almost anything including a lot of prescriptions and has for years. The HR department should have sent you info on insurance changes, blame them, not Obama.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:53 AM
3 moms liked this

your personal insurance policy has nothing to do with obamacare.  your insurance changing has nothing to do with obamacare.  if your insurance is provided through your employer and you received no notification of change (which frankly is more than unbelievable), then you need to take it up with them.  but every policy change I have ever gone through as included multiple notifications from both the company and the insurance carrier.  maybe you thought it was just an EOB and tossed it without opening it, but if you get EOBs at your address you would have gotten notice of change in benefits.

hell, my insurance changed this year too.  but it was because dh's employers chose a different level of coverage, nothing to do with the President or his policies at all.  we were notified in April, we were notified again in June, changes went into effect in July, and we were still getting mail about the changes up to the end of the calendar year to remind everyone that even with the insurance change mid-year, deductibles reset 1/1/13.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:53 AM

According to the lady who tried to register us, the ER Dr., one nurse and the radiology tech, this is becoming very common. The ER is having to be utilized by people to simply get testing authorized immediately by their insurance, resulting in double (or more) the bills to both the insurance company and the patient. Dr's are just as frustrated with the new healthcare plan as patients are, especially emergency room Dr's. Way to save money, freaking president. UGH!!!!!

LittlePiggies5
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Doesn't it start in 2014???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:57 AM

We are self employed. We purchase health insurance outright. Both my daughter and my son have had CT Scans with no problem, without being pre-authorized. Last night, I was told by several different administration people that this is directly changes to our policy that have been mandated by obamacare, starting this year. We have not been notified by mail, whatsoever, and we have a very good insurance company. Anything from our insurance company is opened and filed. This is a mandatory change that went into effect on January 1st.

Quoting Anonymous:

your personal insurance policy has nothing to do with obamacare.  your insurance changing has nothing to do with obamacare.  if your insurance is provided through your employer and you received no notification of change (which frankly is more than unbelievable), then you need to take it up with them.  but every policy change I have ever gone through as included multiple notifications from both the company and the insurance carrier.  maybe you thought it was just an EOB and tossed it without opening it, but if you get EOBs at your address you would have gotten notice of change in benefits.

hell, my insurance changed this year too.  but it was because dh's employers chose a different level of coverage, nothing to do with the President or his policies at all.  we were notified in April, we were notified again in June, changes went into effect in July, and we were still getting mail about the changes up to the end of the calendar year to remind everyone that even with the insurance change mid-year, deductibles reset 1/1/13.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Obamacare doesn't kick in till next year... good job placing blame without first educating yourself though! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Usually, it would have. She made it very clear she wanted it done immediately, if not sooner, and it still took until this afternoon to receive a phone call saying they authorized it. Of course, we had already incurred the extra costs by going through the ER in order to have it done immediately. 

Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

It really is ridiculous. But couldn't your doctor have just said he felt it was an emergency situation? usually a letter and phone call will suffice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Various parts of Obamacare start kicking in on various dates. Certain insurance things started kicking in shortly after it was ordered, certain things kicked into gear this year, and things continue to officially change for several years to come. Who needs educated? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Obamacare doesn't kick in till next year... good job placing blame without first educating yourself though! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)