Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you take your kid to the dr at the first sign of a fever?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm not talking about infants but toddlers and older. If their only symptom was a fever (101-102.5) would you take them in or wait it out and treat them with motrin and tylenol? If you did wait it out, how many days would you wait before taking them in?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
ratchetlee
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

NO!  I am a nurse.... and there is not a whole lot that can be done....

If they are complaining of an ear ache, having trouble breathing, or showing signs of dehydration, then I would

I just treat the cold symptoms, flu symptoms, or whatever... and the fever!

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Low grade fevers we let them bake it out.

Higher fevers get ibuprofen and lots of water.

We've never had a fever make us go to the doctor. 

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

no not immediately.  if it doesn't go down within 3-4 days and the motrin/tylenol isn't bringing it down I'll take them in, especially if there are other symptoms. 

my youngest has had febrile seizures so I keep a really good eye on him if he's running a fever. 

wilesmomma
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
No. If it's still there the fourth day, then yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I never take them in unless the fever is over 103 and nothing brings it down. Even then, I call the doctor and ask if I should bring them in. I don't feel that every sickness needs to be ruashed in, most viral infections require only some TLC to get over and all the doctor will say is "rest and fluids."

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
No. 104 fever isn't as serious as people originally thought
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No, and it's people who do that that burden the Canadian healthcare system.  Treat with advil and wait to see if it reduces, if it doesn't then take them in.  ER is always an option if it builds up quickly.

gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I would treat ds with motrin/tylenol and cool compresses for about 3 -4 days. If the fevers persist or get higher, then to the doctor or er we go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No. A fever is not an illness, it is your body's way of fighting infection or a virus. If tylenol, fluids and rest are not making my kids feel better and they are getting worse I will take them in. Otherwise, if they are still eating and in good spirits, I see no point in bringing them to the doctor. The Pedi we go to would just tell me to take them home and do what I've been doing. He isn't big on writing out prescriptions for every little sniffle and sneeze. He is kind of old fashioned, that is why we like him.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

No I wait it out. My kids do really well with fevers, my daughter's "danger zone" is respiratory symptoms. Sometimes people think I'm nuts for running her in with a cough, but she was premature and suffered from RSV, so I don't take my chances. She develops pneumonia very easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)