Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you take your kid to the dr at the first sign of a fever?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm not talking about infants but toddlers and older. If their only symptom was a fever (101-102.5) would you take them in or wait it out and treat them with motrin and tylenol? If you did wait it out, how many days would you wait before taking them in?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (131-137):
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I very rarely take my kids in for anything. Usually, if they have a lowgrade fever, I take them in after a week, if it won't stay down without meds. Or, if they have any fever combined with respiratory symptoms for more than 4 days, because our whole family has a tendancy toward sinus infections and bacterial bronchitis, which require antibiotics. Other than that, they don't go in unless the fever is high (103 or higher) for more than 2 days, or won't come down with medication for 12 hours.

Nicole1357
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Usually take them since fever is a sign of something wrong. My kids never ran a fever without actually being sick except when they were teething. That being said even when they were teething it was a low grade fever. 

ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM
If it stayed at 101+ for more than a day, and wasn't breaking with alternating motrin & tylenol ...I would call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Decker
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No, my rule is if it is more than 48 hours with a fever they are going to the doctor.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I'll just wait it out. If the fever doesn't go down in 3 days, I'll take them in. Most of the time the doctor will not be able to do anything about it.

redhead-bedhead
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
It shows that the bodies immune system is fighting off the infection.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not trying to be funny but why is having a fever a good sign?

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I just let the fever do its job. Fevers are a good sign.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2acutiepie
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I used to wait it out. I would wait 2-3 days and then take him in. Now that he is in school I take him at the first sign of fever unless it's over a school holiday or the weekend. I do this because he can't go to school if he has had a fever in the past 24 hours and if he misses school he needs a Dr note. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)