Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you take your kid to the dr at the first sign of a fever?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm not talking about infants but toddlers and older. If their only symptom was a fever (101-102.5) would you take them in or wait it out and treat them with motrin and tylenol? If you did wait it out, how many days would you wait before taking them in?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Wow! 105! i get scared when my kids get to 103. lol

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

A fever that low (and that being the only symptom), I don't take them in. My son had a 105.8F fever a few weeks ago, and then I called our out of hours emergency number and asked them if I should take him in. But generally speaking, I wait it out. 

queen_k0302
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I don't give meds for fevers either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dorra
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I usually wait 2-3 days (if they act lifeless). If if they aren't better by day 3, I can call and be seen within an hour or 2. If they are still up and running around and acting/eating normal (driving me crazy), I don't worry about it (they aren't sick enough to be seen). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

No, if there are no other symptoms. My youngest DD has a habit of sometimes running a random fever for no apparent reason. She won't even feel bad, but be running a fever and it will only last like a day or for a night even. The next day-nothing.

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I treat at home with meds and a cool bath. If I cant get it down after 2 days we got to the dr. lots of fluids.help too.
RLT2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

No. I'd wait a couple of days as long as they weren't presenting symptoms of something else like: weird rashes, dehydration, extreme vomiting or diarrhea, strep, bad cough etc. They are more comfortable at home and the doc's office is a petri dish of germs. You take them in with a cough and come out with the plague lol

K_D88
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM
No.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

No. There has to be other symptoms, fever doesn't reduce with meds, OR it's been more than 5 days and not getting better at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

No UNLESS there were symptoms of strep or ear infections to go with fever.

luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I was FREAKING!! I finally got a doctor on the line (this was about 2 am) who pretty much said there was nothing he could do anyway, so all we could do was treat it at home and wait it out, but I was pretty worried! In the end my son just slept all the next day and the fever broke that afternoon, but I felt so badly for him! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow! 105! i get scared when my kids get to 103. lol

Quoting luvmymonkeys27:

A fever that low (and that being the only symptom), I don't take them in. My son had a 105.8F fever a few weeks ago, and then I called our out of hours emergency number and asked them if I should take him in. But generally speaking, I wait it out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN