Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Different strokes for different folks. Get it?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Different strokes for different folks

Options:

Yep, and that's okay

Nope, my way is the only right way and everything else is wrong

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 85

View Results

I'm climbing up on a perch, one more time, to try to make them see reason.  Even though I don't have very high hopes.  It looks to be a long way down, and it's really crowded up here.

How many of you have heard the phrase "Different strokes for different folks?"  Even more importantly, how many of you know what that means?  I'll explain, for those who don't.  It is a phrase 'used to emphasize that all people are individuals and that what suits one will not necessarily suit another'.

Here's an example:  If A believes in restricting tv time, and B doesn't, it does not mean B is a bad mother.  It just means she has different ideas.  Or, I'll throw another one out there:  If A breastfed because that's what she believed in, and B didn't, that does not mean A's way is the ONLY way and B's way is wrong.

Why is that so hard to understand?  Now, I'll add a poll to see if I accomplished anything.  Or, if all of us that believe that are sorely outnumbered.

Okay, the ones that are voting nope, I'd really like to hear from you too.  I'm just curious what makes you experts in your field. 

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
B for both! :)

Quoting almondpigeon:

A for toilet paper, B for paper towels.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Nope, sorry B is the only correct way!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Unless you have a cat who plays with tp. Then A all the way!

Quoting wickedfiress:

B for both! :)

Quoting almondpigeon:

A for toilet paper, B for paper towels.

Quoting wickedfiress:

gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

yeah, I wasn't even going to open THAT can of worms.  That's another shitstorm waiting to happen.  I never spanked, not once.  My kids are 17 and 22 and turned out to be pretty damn good kids.  My thought on spanking, personally, is that it humiliates them and why would I want to humiliate them?  I'm not into making them feel like that, and I never was.  I found it to be much more effective talking to them about what I didn't like, and it worked well for me.  But that's simply the way I did things, I don't care how other people choose to discipline their kids, it doesn't matter to me. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Eh, half the people get upset if you simply say it's not something you would do.
example personally I don't agree with spanking. It doesn't mean we can't talk if you're a spanker but it also doesn't mean I'm ever going to condone when you spank. It's better just to not talk about that stuff with friends.

lucsch
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends upon the subject. Not ALL strokes for different strokes are okay.

For instance, if one mom thinks it is okay to leave her 4yo home alone for an hour, I would disagree. Even the most intelligent and mature 4yo is still not ready for that.

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I think a lot of the sanctimommy issues are based on fear-mongering by the media. How can a parent feel secure in their parenting choices when there are so many different ways to parent? What if we make the wrong choices? We take stands on our way and cut people down who do things differently. It seems like some parents take it as a personal challenge to their beliefs if someone parents differently. Gotta wipe that shit out right quick! Fear is what it comes down to, IMO. 

Kitschy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Exactly, but if you say that you're likely to get at least one crazy who needs to justify her actions to you. She will do whatever it takes to attempt to make you say that her kid does in fact require spanking. If you don't say it, you're judgemental. Lol

Quoting gypsy30:

yeah, I wasn't even going to open THAT can of worms.  That's another shitstorm waiting to happen.  I never spanked, not once.  My kids are 17 and 22 and turned out to be pretty damn good kids.  My thought on spanking, personally, is that it humiliates them and why would I want to humiliate them?  I'm not into making them feel like that, and I never was.  I found it to be much more effective talking to them about what I didn't like, and it worked well for me.  But that's simply the way I did things, I don't care how other people choose to discipline their kids, it doesn't matter to me. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Eh, half the people get upset if you simply say it's not something you would do.
example personally I don't agree with spanking. It doesn't mean we can't talk if you're a spanker but it also doesn't mean I'm ever going to condone when you spank. It's better just to not talk about that stuff with friends.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy30
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I never thought of things that way.  That completely makes sense.  I thought, most of the time, when I'm getting bashed for not doing things THEIR way, it was because they really couldn't see that it really is 'different strokes for different folks'.  But that totally makes sense that they might, instead, bash you because they're trying to justify what THEY did. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Exactly, but if you say that you're likely to get at least one crazy who needs to justify her actions to you. She will do whatever it takes to attempt to make you say that her kid does in fact require spanking. If you don't say it, you're judgemental. Lol

Quoting gypsy30:

Quoting Kitschy:

Kitschy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this
That's pretty much the essence of cm IMO.

Quoting gypsy30:

I never thought of things that way.  That completely makes sense.  I thought, most of the time, when I'm getting bashed for not doing things THEIR way, it was because they really couldn't see that it really is 'different strokes for different folks'.  But that totally makes sense that they might, instead, bash you because they're trying to justify what THEY did. 

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting gypsy30:

Quoting Kitschy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

Quoting poietes:

No you are wrong, its A.

Quoting wickedfiress:

MamaRae85
by *you're on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Right?? I can't believe that some people put it the other way. Barbarians...

Quoting wickedfiress:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN