Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hit a new low today EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

So long story short, there was a mix up of some sort with payments on a tax bill (that was because we did the taxes wrong one year) and now the state has put a lien on my the bank account my DH and I share. The whole bill is less than what was deposited into the account this morning from his paycheck.

The problem is that we can't afford to even go a day without his paycheck. We have been struggling with medical bills and loans and only having one person working at the moment. Last week we were 300 dollars short on our rent and put off on buying groceries and just used everything in the house all week. Our intent was to pay the rest of the rent and then just cut out meats and things this month to make up for it.

I packed the kids lunch with the last of what was in the house, a sandwich and an apple each and scraped up enough money for them to buy a milk. We didn't have milk for cereal even, they just had toast with juice.

I have three chicken breasts in my fridge and a hand full of potatoes, a half of a pack of pasta, some flour and about a zillion condiments. I can cobble dinner together tonight, but come tomorrow the kids will have to charge lunches at school and I have zero idea after that.

I didn't expect to have this problem with the account. I have zero idea how long it's going to take to clear things up again. We called the state tax office and the guy in charge of our case wasn't in his office today, we left a message.

We make way too much money for any assistance (too much but never enough, isn't that always the way?) and we don't live close to public transportation. I have no idea how we are going to make it.....

And yes this all sucks, but I feel absolutely horrible because as I was surveying things in the kitchen all I could think was, I should have made the kids share an apple in their lunches today because they were decent sized apples. I have no idea what they are having for breakfast tomorrow.

I feel like an absolute failure right now. My kids deserve so much better than this.

Looking for the local food pantries in my area. Does anyone know if there is a directory somewhere? I don't really know what to look for. We don't have a church and a couple of years ago when we had a house fire the resources were scares here besides redcross, which was an emergency hotel for three nights and a walmart gift card for food and clothing.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for how much to price a Sony e-Reader pocket edition for? It's a couple of years old but I should be able to get something out of it right? I don't actually have a TV woth selling, it's one of those huge ones and some of the buttons are missing on it, bought it over 8 years ago. I already parted with the newer one back before Christmas.

Talked to a CPA that was kind enough to look things over. Apparently they are now saying that we didn't claim some of our income for 2009, but my husband left the job that income was from in 2008 and went to work for a new company in January 2009. She suggested that we just let them drain the account to take the lien off and then re-file everything  and they will credit it on our taxes next year. WTF, is that really gonna be the best option? Let them have everything we have to pay bills and buy groceries? *sigh*

Also found a food pantry yesterday so I have cereal, peanutbutter, rice, a couple cans of applesauce and milk, and some dried beans. It's not much since they only have what they get in donations from the church but the boys can have applesauce for breakfast or some of the canned milk watered down with the cereal, and I can make the beans and some torillas to go with since I had some shortening in the spice cabinet. Maybe for lunch I can make some peanutbutter on tortillas with a sprinkle of the partial bag of chocolate chips I had in the freezer. I can't make cookies since I have no butter and very little sugar in the house.

Any ideas on what to do with the rice? I have lots of spices and some chicken stock cubes, maybe some sort of rice soup? I'm usually a fantastic cook but I have no idea what to make with it. We don't usually make rice because while the kids love it, they tend to not eat the other things I serve with it. But filler foods are good when you're broke.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I would like to send you a gift card. Please pm me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Hope things get better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I think it's time to swallow your pride and visit a food pantry.  there's one in almost every county, you could also call churches and see if they have any assistance they can provide.  if you can't do it for yourself (and I totally understand that), do it for your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Sell your TV.
momma2mms
by Kristin on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Food pantry.

Dorra
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Pawn something, tv, game systems, something. 

Look up a local food pantry.

Hope you are able to find help.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Oh wow I am sorry you guys are hitting a rough spot. Can you maybe ask your parents to help with the kids lunches?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'm sorry. 8(

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Quoting audreesmama:

I would like to send you a gift card. Please pm me.

That is so nice of you!

dominic062407
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Eat chicken for dinner tonight tomorrow just have baked potatoes and the next night have the pasta. My sure on breakfast
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)