Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So fed up with the union! Wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Dh is a union plumber and I am frustrated to all hell with his union! They haven't had any work since October. He's a 5th year apprentice, so he still has to go to the night training, 2 nights a week, an hour drive each way, which really eats up a lot of money in gas. I just got a bill from them for union dues- $250. Just got last quarter's insurance bill- $450. Just got a letter from unemployment- losing one week since his year is running out, so we'll have to do another 'waiting week'. He has 2 years left on his contract, so  he's legally not supposed to look for non union plumbing work, but we're at the point where we don't really care. We have gone through nearly all of our savings and we cannot continue to support the family on unemployment. He applied for a government plumbing job yesterday. If he gets it, he's going to break his contract. Sh*t happens. I wish we would have never decided to go this route in the first place! Ugh! Sorry, just had to vent :(

What would you do? Would you break the contract if you have the chance of a more stable job?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

bump!

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Holler at me if you would like to talk. Ive been right there.
Tell him to go to the hall organizer and ask about a salting agreement. Then he can go and look for some work. We had alot of luck through several of the temp agencies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Unions are the scum of the earth and the work of the devil. Do what you need to do and tell the union to shit bricks!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:23 PM

He cannot look for non union plumbing work but that does not mean he cannot work.   Perhaps he could put his skills to use at a Home Depot or Lowes.   I am not a fan of unions as it seems that they are not always looking out for hte best interest of their membership.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

What is a salting agreement? He told me that another member told the BA that he was looking for another job, and the BA said he could if he continued to pay dues, is it something like that?

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

Holler at me if you would like to talk. Ive been right there.
Tell him to go to the hall organizer and ask about a salting agreement. Then he can go and look for some work. We had alot of luck through several of the temp agencies

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I'd never be in a union if I didn't have to be
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It kind of does though. He can work cash side jobs, but those are just as far and few in between as the union jobs it seems. He can't just go get a min wage job at Lowes or something, that would put us in an even worse position because that income would be less than his unemployment. His normal rate is $32/hr, he gets 60% of that for unemployment, so he'd have to find something making at least $14/hr. Plumbing is his profession, so I'm not sure where he would find that rate in something he's not skilled in, ya know?

Quoting Anonymous:

He cannot look for non union plumbing work but that does not mean he cannot work.   Perhaps he could put his skills to use at a Home Depot or Lowes.   I am not a fan of unions as it seems that they are not always looking out for hte best interest of their membership.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I wish we would have never gotten involved in the first place. He got in right before the economy shit the bed, with all the promises in the world. Its definitely taking a toll!

Quoting Anonymous:

Unions are the scum of the earth and the work of the devil. Do what you need to do and tell the union to shit bricks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)