Dh is a union plumber and I am frustrated to all hell with his union! They haven't had any work since October. He's a 5th year apprentice, so he still has to go to the night training, 2 nights a week, an hour drive each way, which really eats up a lot of money in gas. I just got a bill from them for union dues- $250. Just got last quarter's insurance bill- $450. Just got a letter from unemployment- losing one week since his year is running out, so we'll have to do another 'waiting week'. He has 2 years left on his contract, so he's legally not supposed to look for non union plumbing work, but we're at the point where we don't really care. We have gone through nearly all of our savings and we cannot continue to support the family on unemployment. He applied for a government plumbing job yesterday. If he gets it, he's going to break his contract. Sh*t happens. I wish we would have never decided to go this route in the first place! Ugh! Sorry, just had to vent :(
What would you do? Would you break the contract if you have the chance of a more stable job?