Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have no patience for my son

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 21 Replies
And his homework. He just doesn't pay attention ad I find myself yelling at him. He just doesn't listen or pay attention to what he's doing. I feel bad, my dad was like that with me, but I don't know how to deal with it. I've had him tested because I thought he had a learning disorder. I'm just so frustrated. Can anyone help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he needs extra help at school... Talk to his teacher. You yelling doesn't make it any better.....
brittney28
by Brittney on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Maybe a tutor? Who old is he?
momsince04
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I know it doesn't, and I don't do it to be mean, it's just I get so frustrated

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe he needs extra help at school... Talk to his teacher. You yelling doesn't make it any better.....

momsince04
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM
He's 8... An it's not just his homework that he is like that with. He doesn't pay attention to anything he does. I honestly thought he had a disorder. I had him tested for everything. I thought e was dyslexic to.

Quoting brittney28:

Bitterroot
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Is your TV off?  Music off in the background?  Is the curtain looking outside closed?  Are his toys put away?  Is there anything on (like dishwasher or washing machine) that would distract him with noise?

Are there other children being loud and playing around him as he's trying to do his homework?

Distractions can be the death of a great study/homework session.

Also, did you give him pop/soda?  Any other sugary drinks that might make him hyper?

Is he hungry?  Maybe he needs a quick healthy snack before homework time?

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids work better with classical music playing softly in the background. Not all, but it's worth trying. White noise might be helpful if he's easily distracted.

brittney28
by Brittney on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm, I'd go to the vitamin store and get some kid concentration vitamins. They have them there I've seen them.

Quoting momsince04:

He's 8... An it's not just his homework that he is like that with. He doesn't pay attention to anything he does. I honestly thought he had a disorder. I had him tested for everything. I thought e was dyslexic to.

Quoting brittney28:

momsince04
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Do you think they really work??

Quoting brittney28:

Hmmmm, I'd go to the vitamin store and get some kid concentration vitamins. They have them there I've seen them.

Quoting momsince04:

Quoting brittney28:

artistmom27
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, you need to just relax. Find a way that works for your son. You also might want to have a 2nd opinion if he is having that many problems with attention.

momsince04
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
No to it all. He's just that type of kid that does not pay attention to anything. Homework is the worst, but no matter what he's doing he's careless and just doesn't pay attention. He always loses, and forgets things to. Even with going pee, he doesn't pay attention and pisses everywhere.

Quoting Bitterroot:

Is your TV off?  Music off in the background?  Is the curtain looking outside closed?  Are his toys put away?  Is there anything on (like dishwasher or washing machine) that would distract him with noise?

Are there other children being loud and playing around him as he's trying to do his homework?

Distractions can be the death of a great study/homework session.

Also, did you give him pop/soda?  Any other sugary drinks that might make him hyper?

Is he hungry?  Maybe he needs a quick healthy snack before homework time?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN