Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5y/o DD.. is this normal?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 23 Replies
Okay, let me be clear first. I AM HAPPY ABOUT THIS!
My DD just turned 5 yesterday.
Up until yesterday, she was whiny, still throwing temper tantrums like a 2yr old, crying at the drop of a hat. I have been very patient with her, sending her to time out, explaining that she should use her words, telling her to count to 10, then try talking before having a fit. Nothing helped.
Yesterday when she woke up, she proudly announced this: "Mom, I am 5 now. I am a big girl, and if I want to go to school, then I am too big to cry. I wont cry for stupid things anymore."
Of course I pretended to believe this, and told her how proud I am that she chose to be a big girl. But I didnt believe it for a second.
Well, jokes on me!
Every time she got upset yesterday, and today, she started whining, then said out loud "I am too big to cry. I want to use my words, so listen to me!"
She has stopped herself every single time, not had 1 fit, and get this... at 1pm yesterday, she put herself down for a nap!! What she told me? "Im cranky, and dont want to cry like a baby. Im taking a nap. Goodnight." She closed her door, and went to sleep!

As I said, I am THRILLED by this change. But, is it odd? Have I somehow repeated the same things so often that I like, brainwashed my kid?
Has anyone else's kids literally just woke up one morning, and decided to change?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidlover2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Yup. The day my dd turned 5 she stopped wetting the bed and never needed another pullup
the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Bump!
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, so its not so confusing to me LoL
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
No.
mybabyapples
by Nickels on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Did you tell her she was stupid for crying?
the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Really? Thats awesome! Must have been a big burden off your shoulders. Bed wetting is stressful for everyone.

Quoting kidlover2:

Yup. The day my dd turned 5 she stopped wetting the bed and never needed another pullup

the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Nooo? Why the hell would someone call their kid stupid?

Quoting mybabyapples:

Did you tell her she was stupid for crying?

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

lol yeah mine was like that at 5 but I'd tell her use your words, go to your room, when you're done whining come out. She learned real quick all the whining and crying would get you no where. Now we're in the shitty sixes(saying stolen from activity haha thanks girl)She has an opinion about EVERYTHING. Drives me batty. I'm so looking forward to teens...not. LOL 

xtwistedxlovex
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

DS didn't do potty training. He just decided to be done with diapers one day and that was it, no accidents or anything. It was very sudden and took me days to trust that we could go out and not have an accident. Kids can be very stubborn when they've decided to do something.

I do take issue with the 'cry like a baby' bit though. Have you taught her that it's okay to cry SOMETIMES, over the right thing/at the right time? She really should know that; it's unhealthy to always hold it in.

the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I did the same thing. For about a year. Never worked. She just woke up yesterday, and POOF! Big girl now lol
What kind of opinions does your 6y/o have?

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

lol yeah mine was like that at 5 but I'd tell her use your words, go to your room, when you're done whining come out. She learned real quick all the whining and crying would get you no where. Now we're in the shitty sixes(saying stolen from activity haha thanks girl)She has an opinion about EVERYTHING. Drives me batty. I'm so looking forward to teens...not. LOL 

the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Unfortunately, that bit came from my xh. He told her often to stop acting like a baby.
I talk to her about WHY she's crying, and ask her something like "Now, is tha something to cry over, or something we could handle easier if you had used your words?"

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

DS didn't do potty training. He just decided to be done with diapers one day and that was it, no accidents or anything. It was very sudden and took me days to trust that we could go out and not have an accident. Kids can be very stubborn when they've decided to do something.

I do take issue with the 'cry like a baby' bit though. Have you taught her that it's okay to cry SOMETIMES, over the right thing/at the right time? She really should know that; it's unhealthy to always hold it in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured