Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it wrong for kids to say Yes Sir and Yes Ma'm to teachers?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 33 Replies

My son (8) said his teacher told him not to say that to her, that it's disrespectful! He said his dad told him it's good manners when speaking to an adult, and she told him not to do it at school then....

Join the Beautiful Creatures group!
Discuss the books and movies
http://www.cafemom.com/group/beautifulcreatures

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Maybe she personally just doesn't like to be referred to as ma'm.  I know a few people(mostly with age issues) who think that its something to say to older people.  Maybe it makes her feel old.

teresanteens
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

SHE,THE TEACHER IS WRONG,YOU ARE A GOOD MOM,I TEACH MY TEENS THE SAME MANNERS,KEEP IT UP,MOM!

other_mother
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Depends on where you are from. Where I live, Ma'am is considered offensive. Don't ask me why. I don't know.

Momtimestwo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Not for my kids it isn't.

I have NO idea how it can be construed as disrespectful though. I know some complain that it makes them sound old, but not that it's disrespectful.

I'd probably send the teacher an email and ask, simply out of curiosity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

apparently it is almost required in my kids' schools.  We are in Texas now and they have to ma'am and sir everybody. 

squeekers
β€œThe bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Today at 8:19 PM
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

before the military, I didnt say ma'am or sir, but after being in the Army, and the 20+ yrs after the fact, I now ma'am & sir everyone.

CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I know some people that don't like being called ma'am. I still think it is good manners.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

We just moved here and it wasn't that way where we moved from.  They also have a texas pledge.  lol   

Quoting Moki75:

apparently it is almost required in my kids' schools.  We are in Texas now and they have to ma'am and sir everybody. 

GwenGray

wow that teacher is WRONG. I grew up with saying "ma'am" and "sir" I'm not saying she's wrong for telling the kid that, but she's misinformed LOL. My kids will say ma'am and sir to any adult that is older to them unless they request going by their name then it will be "Miss or Mrs and Mr" 

ajc1106
My children are being taught to say yes/no ma'am/sir. And they are corrected if they forget.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN