Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it wrong for kids to say Yes Sir and Yes Ma'm to teachers?

My son (8) said his teacher told him not to say that to her, that it's disrespectful! He said his dad told him it's good manners when speaking to an adult, and she told him not to do it at school then....

Join the Beautiful Creatures group!
Discuss the books and movies
http://www.cafemom.com/group/beautifulcreatures

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Nope. Out here its yes mam, no mam / sir. That's weird for it to be offensive. Hmn
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM
maybe it makes her feel old. i was taught it was good manners. i was working somewhere once and my bosses daughter yelled at me and told me to do something and i said yes ma'am and she told the boss i was being very rude. ...to this day im lost, because all i said was yes ma'am.....??? also she could think hes being sarcastic maybe??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

yea I gave a big ole -______- face when I heard about the pledge

Quoting Anonymous:

We just moved here and it wasn't that way where we moved from.  They also have a texas pledge.  lol   

Quoting Moki75:

apparently it is almost required in my kids' schools.  We are in Texas now and they have to ma'am and sir everybody. 

curlycupcake
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM
The teacher is crazy. Seriously, ma'am & sir are signs of respect and are expected from my children. We are southern, and I know some consider it to be regional. I get on both my kids for not using sir & ma'am. And I'll expect my son to do gentlemanly things like hold doors etc. good manners go a long way in our world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelissaMaye
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Wow. That's not at ALL disrespectful. That teacher is being ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM

It is possible that she thought he was being snarky in calling her ma'am.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I don't recall ever having to say a pledge for TX in school. I was born and raised there. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Quoting Moki75:

yea I gave a big ole -______- face when I heard about the pledge

Quoting Anonymous:

We just moved here and it wasn't that way where we moved from.  They also have a texas pledge.  lol   

Quoting Moki75:

apparently it is almost required in my kids' schools.  We are in Texas now and they have to ma'am and sir everybody. 

gizmo538
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

If she, personally, does not want to be called Ma'am, that's one thing but to tell your kid not to say it at school when another teacher might find it disrespectful to NOT say it is WRONG.

It's manners, plain and simple and I would be on the phone with the teacher to tell her so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I hate being called ma'am but I don't find it offensive. I just tell them my name and what they can call me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Some dumbasses think it implies they're old instead of it being a sign of respect. I'd be a douche though and have my kid say "Hey, you!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)