Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do parents think their children don't need to have any education before starting school??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
This has made me question this as I watch my DS in 1st grade breeze through because since birth we have read to him from day one, we have recited the ABC's and counted 1-100, at 4 Pre-school, at 5 Pre-k, At 6 it was Kindergarten and now 7 1st grade, in PA you must turn 5 before August 31st. He is Sept. 13. We encouraged educational show, he plays toontown and is very good. I have a sister who is a teacher and 2 sister in laws who year after year get that kid, the kid who was not encouraged to learn. Why because that's a teachers job! Yes but that kid has those parents who believe their child is a genius.. They can't understand why their kid is behind the other kids.. I don't get it. Education starts at home.. Sorry but that's my confession for today!!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Well, I think you answered you own question.

There are parents that believe it is only a teachers job to educate. Wrong or not, it is what it is. Formal education is not valued by all.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My only boo boo was not letting my son cut with scissors before he started school.  He is in 1st grade and academically doing great but still sucks at cutting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM
It surprised me how many kids couldn't count even to 10, or even know their letters or letter sounds in my son's Kindergarten class. It's sad to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Because too many parents expect other people to do their job!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

My daughter (a teacher) taught her kids the alphabet using sign tanguage at the same time.  I thought that was brilliant.  Yes her kids are breezing through school.  They can see a movie after they read the book. ( diary of a wimpy kid, and others).  

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Because they're ignorant and wouldn't know how to teach their kids if their lives depended on it.
lucsch
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I personally think they push education too early. Still, I started homeschooling my dd when she was 4-1/2yo. It was fun to teach her all those preschool/Kindergarten skills. Even better was the route to teaching her how to read. When I was reading from the Wizard of Oz to her in Kindergarten, she begged to read it herself. I was amazed that she made the leap from where we happened to be in phonics to reading chapter books herself. When they are ready, it is easy. If it is frustrating or too hard, it is too early. I wish public schools could cater to that readiness, but they push and push subjects and skills earlier and earlier, in the attempt to undo the dumbing down of America. Well, the real cause of the dumbing down of America is PARENTS. If parents were all like OP, the education would begin at home and continue at school.

In the past, I've had flute students come to me for private lessons. I always tell them that the lesson is not where they make the biggest gains in skill. It is during the practice at home. I could immediately tell if they practiced in the previous week. Most did not.  Some would come even less prepared---without their flute! Where were the parents of these students? If  they had gently reminded the student to practice and checked to see if the student had the flute before they drove them to my house for their lessons, their student would have gotten more from the fee their parents paid!

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I agree, but I also think you should go by your childs pace. Some are eager to learn school type stuff early on and some are not. My three year old, loves going over her brothers homework (he's in 1st grade) and doing learning activities on line and in her work books. She bugs me about going to school a LOT. My son at that age had absolutley no interest. I didn't push him. I didn't put him in pre K either. He started kindergarden not knowing much academic stuff at all, but did very well and is still doing well in school. Of course, I did read to him and that kind of thing but did not do much structured learning with him, because he just had no interest.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

It absolutely starts at home. Too many parents don't think that that is part of parenting, they think its soley the job of the teacher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My ds is speech dealyed so we are focusing on that befor we focus on the ABC and counting. We are trying to get him to do the alphabet in asl but he gets about half way through and its not fun for him. The same with counting. He can tell you how old he is and he tried to count to 10. He is 3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)