Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any mamas that play the banjo?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 2 Replies
My 14 year old wants a banjo. She plans to teach herself how to play it. (I have no doubt that she can) sooo I was looking online for ideas. What should a person be looking for in a good used banjo. I obviously don't want something super fancy or expensive but a starter type instrument. Also how hard is it to play compared to a guitar? She has already taught herself to play the guitar some and she also plays the flute. Oh and 4 or 5 strings? And what's open back?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Help!!! I don't know what a good banjo looks like!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'm new to banjo playing  - but i see you have few replies.

Many banjos have a back, or a resonator on them.  And open back does not.  An open back is much cheaper, and I've heard you cn put a towel behind it and decrease the sound production.

I'd go with 5 strings.  4 strings is typically of old-timey music, whereas 5, I think gives you more options.

I've read that going to banjo from the guitar is easier since the banjo has fewer strings - but I don'te know from experience. 

As far as used ones, I'm not sure.  Go to a reputable music store and/or I think you can have them looked over, tuned up etc by a professional if it's in rough shape.

good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured