Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone who has moved out of state?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I want to move from MA to VA. I dont understand how to do it though. All the places I have contacted about renting say they wont rent to me unless I have a job down there. But I hear that its impossible to get a job unless you are already living in the area. I certainly cant imagine how I could get a job in the area without a place to live. Has anyone done this? No I dont have family or friends down there, I am leaving all of them behind to move to a new place (hopefully). Any tips or ideas? Is this just impossible to do?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Replies (41-42):
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I get resumes in my profession, not just applications,  and I interviewed 3 people from out of state today.  I don't care where they are from, as long as they realize that the job is here, and relocating is their headache.  I am hiring contractors in software development.   The whole NoVA area is more like that because the majority here are transplants.

Quoting CV3:

Eventually I want to be in the Fairfax or surrounding area but for now we are hoping for Richmond. I have no problems heading down for an interview...except the flight, I have an awful fear of flying but I would suck it up lol. So its not unusual to get applications from out of state? It doesnt turn you off right away?

Quoting Val99:

Which part of VA?  

If you are talking about Northern Virginia, you would need to apply for jobs and interview before moving.    I get resumes of people from out of state all the time.  Typically, I phone screen first and if I like them I ask them to come in for an interview.  Attending the interview is their expense if they want the job.  My company is in the Maryland, DC, NoVA area.  I moved here from RI.

joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

anything can be a scam.  A realtor could help you

Quoting CV3:

I am afraid to do that because I am not there to verify that its not a scam. My worst fear is we would get down there and find out there is no such person or place as we have been talking to...I mean I am not an idiot who would fall for it easily but it could happen.

Quoting joyfullem:

have you tried renting from a person and not a company?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)