Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh. Parents frustrate me to no end!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

I work as the secretary at a local k-8 public charter school.  I'm at the front office from 8-4 Mon-Friday. I love the school. I send my children to the school. It's a school you choose to send your child to, it's not a neighborhood school. It's pretty much a school for hipsters. Lol.

99.4% of the parents are great. It's a small school. I know all of the kids and know many of the parents. It's a community and almost everyone is fantastic.

We have one particular family who ignores a specific rule. No nuts in certain areas. The common areas are nut free(gym, lunch room, office, etc). We have designated classrooms that allow peanuts and tree nuts. We do discourage bringing in nuts, but if your child likes nuts as a snack, we ask that the snack be kept in a separate container and not in the lunch pail(since the kids sit together at lunch). 

No nuts at lunch. This is part of the contract that we, as parents, and we, as staff, agree to this rule. We do not offer a hot lunch program, so students have to bring their lunch from home.

There's a parent at the school who does not want to comply with the school procedure. She sends her child to school with a peanut butter sandwich. Every day!

We had some problems when school started.  In the beginning of the year it happened a couple of times, and we allowed the child to choose a couple of friends and they could have lunch together in the principals office. We sent a note home to every parent in the school reminding them not to pack peanut products in lunches. Now it's every day. We've sent home notes, called the parents. His mom always has an excuse why she forgets.  Now, we feel like we're punishing the child because it's become such a habit that we've stopped letting him bring friends with. We are at a loss as to what to do with the situation.

I don't understand why the mom is ignoring the rules.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Suspend the child. I know it isnt the childs fault but maybe that is the only way to get the point across to the parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The administration really doesn't want to because he'll become so far behind. We've never had to deal with this type of situation with the peanuts. Everyone is told about the rules about peanuts. We're not a very strict school(it's really laid back), and we're very inclusive. We want all the students to enjoy school, but this child cries every day now because he has to sit with the principal and not with his friends.

I just don't understand how you can choose to send your child to this school and disregard the rules. Many parents send their kids to this school because of its no-nut policy.

I feel bad for the kid. :(

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Suspend the child. I know it isnt the childs fault but maybe that is the only way to get the point across to the parent.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

have they brought the parent in? 

Quoting Anonymous:

The administration really doesn't want to because he'll become so far behind. We've never had to deal with this type of situation with the peanuts. Everyone is told about the rules about peanuts. We're not a very strict school(it's really laid back), and we're very inclusive. We want all the students to enjoy school, but this child cries every day now because he has to sit with the principal and not with his friends.

I just don't understand how you can choose to send your child to this school and disregard the rules. Many parents send their kids to this school because of its no-nut policy.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

BDolphins82
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I am assuming that you have to pay a tution for the school? Charge them for the price of a babysitter every day of the school year and tell them they have to pay it up front.  Unless they stop sending peanuts products....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
There will always be a small percentage of ASSHOLE parents who think they can do as they please.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yes. She's mad. She's threatened to take him out of the school. I'm just baffled. This isn't a normal public school. We don't apply a lot of academic pressure. We focus a lot on making learning fun and enjoyable. We focus a lot on the emotional and social well-being of the students. We don't focus on testing scores. It's a school where you -have- to supplement at home. She doesn't pay to send her child here. It's a free public charter school. We're chartered through a local university as an experimental school. We're a non-profit school.

It's just weird that she chooses to have her child attend the school, but then complains and disregards the rules.  I don't think the school is the right fit for what she's looking for, and sheknows it, but she doesn't want to pull her child out.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

have they brought the parent in? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

No, it's a free public charter school. Everyone in the state is welcome to send his or her child to the school. 

Quoting BDolphins82:

I am assuming that you have to pay a tution for the school? Charge them for the price of a babysitter every day of the school year and tell them they have to pay it up front.  Unless they stop sending peanuts products....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

mom's ignoring the rules because you're letting her, and you're rewarding her precious little snowflake by letting him eat with just his friends, in a quiet spot alone. 

time to make him eat in the teacher's room, with a teacher or para supervising, and no nonsense.  it shouldn't take too long before child pressure has mom packing something he can eat with the rest of the students.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

How many children go to the school? Out of that how many are allergic to nuts?

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Peanuts aren't technacly nuts so they wouldn't be breaking a rule.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)