Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What other poor people eat.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I spend $100 to $110 a week on food. I looked up the income guidelines once and according to the chart we would qualify for food stamps, but we do not receive them.

Breakfasts: home made oatmeal with flax meal, banana, and black strap molasses.

2 organic eggs in organic butter with organic whole wheat toast

English muffin with a banana and a kiwi

Lunches: lentil soup with beer bread

Almond butter, home made, and apple butter sandwiches.Organic Carrots and hummus on the side

Grilled cheese, all organic, with organic apple slices

Salad ( organic lettuce, regular tomatoes and onion) with black beans and sunflower seeds on top

Dinners: garbanzo bean curry
Tamale pie
Black beans and rice
Spaghetti and bean balls
Vegnews Mac and cheese (cheese sauce made from potatoes, carrots, onions, butter, cashews, and nutritional yeast)
Veggie sushi

Edit: I'm surprised so many people think this is disgusting. It's what we'd be eating even if we had more funds. It's real food, it's good.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
RLT2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Okay, so you don't eat meat and you eat all organic. You make everything from scratch. You probably have your own beehive etc etc.  Is this a food stamp post? An organic food post? A vegetarian post? A non packaged food post?

bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Quoting TSNDDY:

I'm not poor and we spend 80-125 a week.

That's very common. Typically even if your income increases there is not a dramatic increase in groceries.

It's usually the quality of food that changes between "poor" and "middle class" if only for proper food nutrition.

That was a really random thing from Economics you just made me remember.
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Oatmeal for breakfast with a protein shake, ham sandwich with cheese for lunch or leftovers, and meat and veggies for dinner, tonight we had chicken and noodles with green beans in it. Tomorrow we are having sloppy joes, last night build your own tacos. I do a lot in the crock pot too. We generally spend $50 a week on our groceries but will buy or spend more when chicken is on sale for ten cents a pound and stock up. There's three of us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Quoting RLT2:

Okay, so you don't eat meat and you eat all organic. You make everything from scratch. You probably have your own beehive etc etc.  Is this a food stamp post? An organic food post? A vegetarian post? A non packaged food post?

Not everything organic. I just try to follow the dirty dozen/ clean 15. It's a "people don't have to eat like the original poor menu post" post.

Maybe someone will get a dinner idea, you never know.
TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Just seems weird that everyone is saying that's cheap? My grocery budget is $450. (Including household supplies)
But I buy a lot of bulk and freeze a lot.

Quoting bigmessylife:

Quoting TSNDDY:

I'm not poor and we spend 80-125 a week.

That's very common. Typically even if your income increases there is not a dramatic increase in groceries.

It's usually the quality of food that changes between "poor" and "middle class" if only for proper food nutrition.

That was a really random thing from Economics you just made me remember.
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Please give me your curry and sushi recipe.  Black Bean tamale pie is probably my most favorite dinner ever.  Yummy

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I have a great recipe for garbanzo curry burgers- yummy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Lmfao... Was your dinner a hungry man frozen meal? Because I like the brownies :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Ew sounds gross....this poor person eats a bowl of cerial for breakfast, some campbells soup for lunch and chicken fingers with corn and mashed potatos for supper.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I spend about 80 $ a MONTH and buy a lot of organics. Then again. .. I can't eat solids.

RLT2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Sorry, it came across as a little preachy. BUT I'm due for my period any minute now, and am a wee bit bitchy. I could totally have just read that into because I'm wacko right now! lol!

Quoting bigmessylife:

Quoting RLT2:

Not everything organic. I just try to follow the dirty dozen/ clean 15. It's a "people don't have to eat like the original poor menu post" post.

Maybe someone will get a dinner idea, you never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)