Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What other poor people eat.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I spend $100 to $110 a week on food. I looked up the income guidelines once and according to the chart we would qualify for food stamps, but we do not receive them.

Breakfasts: home made oatmeal with flax meal, banana, and black strap molasses.

2 organic eggs in organic butter with organic whole wheat toast

English muffin with a banana and a kiwi

Lunches: lentil soup with beer bread

Almond butter, home made, and apple butter sandwiches.Organic Carrots and hummus on the side

Grilled cheese, all organic, with organic apple slices

Salad ( organic lettuce, regular tomatoes and onion) with black beans and sunflower seeds on top

Dinners: garbanzo bean curry
Tamale pie
Black beans and rice
Spaghetti and bean balls
Vegnews Mac and cheese (cheese sauce made from potatoes, carrots, onions, butter, cashews, and nutritional yeast)
Veggie sushi

Edit: I'm surprised so many people think this is disgusting. It's what we'd be eating even if we had more funds. It's real food, it's good.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Quoting sweetboys4me:

Please give me your curry and sushi recipe.  Black Bean tamale pie is probably my most favorite dinner ever.  Yummy

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/vegetable-and-garbanzo-curry/

There's the curry. I don't have a recipe for the sushi really. I usually use brown nishiki rice, rinse it a lot, put it in the rice cooker with the normal amount of water for the normal time. When it's done I put it in a big mixing bowl and sprinkle it with seasoned rice vinegar and let it come to room temp with a wet towel over it.

I use thinly sliced carrots, avocado, and cucumber for the filling and I taught myself how to roll by watching YouTube.
Ummwilliam
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Not sure what the point is but I think there's nothing wrong with spending more for organic food, especially when you make some of it from scratch.  So you drink fewer lattes and do your own nails or whatever to make up the difference. Good for you! What I do (and my son is a meat-eater and very very picky) is buy several pounds of hamburger on sale and a whole chicken and some pork chops on sale, make it and freeze it in small batches in baggies. pop one out into a bowl and mic it on a given night... i mix and match this meat with brown rice, quinoa, bulgur wheat or homemade mashed potatoes, all of which i pre-made and stored in tupperware. i do all that cooking and freezing/refigeration on sundays and meals are therefore an inexpensive and quick process during our busy weekdays. all our veg is frozen too. fruit is fresh. nope, not hand-hewn or organic but not fast food or frozen tv dinners ... we eat out maybe once a month. and if you buy right and don't waste what you buy, it stretches a dollar. just my two cents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
We couldn't live on that. Ds has waay too many food allergies and intolerances. We spend around 250 a week.
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting RLT2:

Lol, it's fine. What's that advertisement? Have a happy period?

Hope you feel better soon :-)
cherylam
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Even with just 2 of us, and sometimes BIL & his son, we spend around $100 a week, but we have our own meat and eggs.

bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Quoting Ummwilliam:

Not sure what the point is but I think there's nothing wrong with spending more for organic food, especially when you make some of it from scratch.  So you drink fewer lattes and do your own nails or whatever to make up the difference. Good for you! What I do (and my son is a meat-eater and very very picky) is buy several pounds of hamburger on sale and a whole chicken and some pork chops on sale, make it and freeze it in small batches in baggies. pop one out into a bowl and mic it on a given night... i mix and match this meat with brown rice, quinoa, bulgur wheat or homemade mashed potatoes, all of which i pre-made and stored in tupperware. i do all that cooking and freezing/refigeration on sundays and meals are therefore an inexpensive and quick process during our busy weekdays. all our veg is frozen too. fruit is fresh. nope, not hand-hewn or organic but not fast food or frozen tv dinners ... we eat out maybe once a month. and if you buy right and don't waste what you buy, it stretches a dollar. just my two cents.

The point was just that people can eat better, as you obviously know. I try to follow the dirty dozen/ clean fifteen and in the summer we grow everything ourselves with no pesticides to save money and enjoy a hobby.
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Quoting bigmessylife:

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I see organic, this poor person can't afford organic anything. And you've got lots of fresh produce. Beside a bag of apples and lettuce, we don't do much in the fresh produce department. Too expensive.

southernjess3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Add a meat to every dinner/ lunch. It easily adds up.

Quoting brandydesiree:

It's cheap because you don't eat meat. It be a lot more difficult to spend 100 a week if you bought all of your supplies and meat.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

We couldn't live on that. Ds has waay too many food allergies and intolerances. We spend around 250 a week.

Food allergies can make a huge difference in menu and costs. My youngest was milk protein intolerant his first year of life so we spent a good bit more on things like coconut milk and coconut oil.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured