Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What other poor people eat.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I spend $100 to $110 a week on food. I looked up the income guidelines once and according to the chart we would qualify for food stamps, but we do not receive them.

Breakfasts: home made oatmeal with flax meal, banana, and black strap molasses.

2 organic eggs in organic butter with organic whole wheat toast

English muffin with a banana and a kiwi

Lunches: lentil soup with beer bread

Almond butter, home made, and apple butter sandwiches.Organic Carrots and hummus on the side

Grilled cheese, all organic, with organic apple slices

Salad ( organic lettuce, regular tomatoes and onion) with black beans and sunflower seeds on top

Dinners: garbanzo bean curry
Tamale pie
Black beans and rice
Spaghetti and bean balls
Vegnews Mac and cheese (cheese sauce made from potatoes, carrots, onions, butter, cashews, and nutritional yeast)
Veggie sushi

Edit: I'm surprised so many people think this is disgusting. It's what we'd be eating even if we had more funds. It's real food, it's good.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

That doesn't sound bad actually.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
We would be starving! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

I see organic, this poor person can't afford organic anything. And you've got lots of fresh produce. Beside a bag of apples and lettuce, we don't do much in the fresh produce department. Too expensive.

Most of our budget is fresh produce which evens out since we do a lot of beans and grains instead of meat and large amounts of dairy.
bumNmoos_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Do you guys copon???? I budget 250.00 a week for food. And sometimes that is hard. I can deff learn how to spend less but then I have two kids that play sports and a husband that likes a big meal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

how many people is this for?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Ds is..peanut free, dairy free, corn free, pork free, egg free, wheat free, and soy free.

Quoting bigmessylife:

Quoting Anonymous:

We couldn't live on that. Ds has waay too many food allergies and intolerances. We spend around 250 a week.

Food allergies can make a huge difference in menu and costs. My youngest was milk protein intolerant his first year of life so we spent a good bit more on things like coconut milk and coconut oil.

bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Quoting littlesippycup:

That doesn't sound bad actually.

We like it. I usually change up spices and fruits for variety.
bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

how many people is this for?

bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Quoting bumNmoos_mom:

Do you guys copon???? I budget 250.00 a week for food. And sometimes that is hard. I can deff learn how to spend less but then I have two kids that play sports and a husband that likes a big meal. 

Very little because not a lot is processed, but I do thoroughly go over sales flyers and stock up. Like this week, beans were buy one get one. English muffins were buy one get two. That kind of hunting. We're lucky to have 5 major grocery stores near us.
kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I spend about a hundred a month, or less. We eat may, but not much of it. I don't bother with organics, and we eat a lot of Curries, soups and stews
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured