Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What other poor people eat.....

Posted by   + Show Post
I spend $100 to $110 a week on food. I looked up the income guidelines once and according to the chart we would qualify for food stamps, but we do not receive them.

Breakfasts: home made oatmeal with flax meal, banana, and black strap molasses.

2 organic eggs in organic butter with organic whole wheat toast

English muffin with a banana and a kiwi

Lunches: lentil soup with beer bread

Almond butter, home made, and apple butter sandwiches.Organic Carrots and hummus on the side

Grilled cheese, all organic, with organic apple slices

Salad ( organic lettuce, regular tomatoes and onion) with black beans and sunflower seeds on top

Dinners: garbanzo bean curry
Tamale pie
Black beans and rice
Spaghetti and bean balls
Vegnews Mac and cheese (cheese sauce made from potatoes, carrots, onions, butter, cashews, and nutritional yeast)
Veggie sushi

Edit: I'm surprised so many people think this is disgusting. It's what we'd be eating even if we had more funds. It's real food, it's good.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (61-67):
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Mmm, apple butter

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Agreed u eat like you said only add meat sbout 2-3x a week.

Quoting bigmessylife:

Quoting Anonymous:

Ew sounds gross....this poor person eats a bowl of cerial for breakfast, some campbells soup for lunch and chicken fingers with corn and mashed potatos for supper.

Your diet is what I was raised on. I'll just keep m new way of eating.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Now that, is a menu I can get on board with! I love molasses in oatmeal, and lentils anything are so yum! Do you ever do lentils Ethiopian style? I think it's called messir wat. I can't make injera, but a non-sweet crepe works great. 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

What we eat varies. We never have the same thing every week. We such it up with food with meat and vegetarian dishes.

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM

We spend $100-$150 on groceries a week but we actually eat meat. My husband could not live without it and I find your meal plan to be kind of gross but that's just me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

bigmessylife
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting faeriemom1972:

Now that, is a menu I can get on board with! I love molasses in oatmeal, and lentils anything are so yum! Do you ever do lentils Ethiopian style? I think it's called messir wat. I can't make injera, but a non-sweet crepe works great. 

I haven't, but I'll have to look into it now. I do make dhal with red lentils on occasion. That's always a nice change of pace.
Ummwilliam
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

i think what you're doing is admirable! i live in a condo and work two jobs and have no easy access to farm grown, or i would do that. i buy organic whenever possible. i eat totally differently from my son - vegetarian. daycare threw off whatever good i started when he was a toddler (homemade baby food, green beans for a snack). sigh. he won't touch a legume, cheese or any fruit/veg other than apples, broccoli, peas and maybe carrots.  well, at least he eats. and we spend about $100 a week for the two of us, but am trying to find ways to scale down. bravo to you bigmessylife! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN