Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving away money ? WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm getting a settlement soon, it's a large amont of money. I'm getting it due to an accident I was in, well my mom asked me to buy her a car. I told her I'd loan her the money but wouldn't just buy her a car, she's mad about it.

Just want to give some background on our relationship , I moved out of her house at 14 and moved in with my dh , she has helped me a little bit when I need it but never more the $10 at a time. She is my mother and I want to help her but I don't want to just give away money that I can use for my children.

What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Replies (21-23):
SparklePants
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM

If she is asking you to buy her a car chances are she won't be able to pay you back.

Either buy her a car, a small used one or tell her no, you have plans for the money for you and  for your childrens future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I'm getting 15,000 but se only wants a use car for around 3k but to me it's still a lot of money, I'm a sahm so I don't work so dh and I want to save most of the money after my medical is paid off. But my mother was very abusive and neglectful.

Quoting lnr187:

how much is your settlement? and how much is the car she wants? ar we talking brand new 2013 $50000, or something of craigstlist for $1000? also, are you going to be going back to work any time soon (or maybe you already are)? if you can afford to do so and it's a small amt, then i'd say it would be nice. but if you're not going back to work and/or she's asking for a very large amt, i'd say no you need it to survive off of. also, if the reason you left her home was because she was abusive in any way, then i'd say no.

lnr187
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

it's not wrong of you to say no. she clearly did not take care of you, and it's not your job to take care of her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm getting 15,000 but se only wants a use car for around 3k but to me it's still a lot of money, I'm a sahm so I don't work so dh and I want to save most of the money after my medical is paid off. But my mother was very abusive and neglectful.

Quoting lnr187:

how much is your settlement? and how much is the car she wants? ar we talking brand new 2013 $50000, or something of craigstlist for $1000? also, are you going to be going back to work any time soon (or maybe you already are)? if you can afford to do so and it's a small amt, then i'd say it would be nice. but if you're not going back to work and/or she's asking for a very large amt, i'd say no you need it to survive off of. also, if the reason you left her home was because she was abusive in any way, then i'd say no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)