Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home Businesses... Advice.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 32 Replies

I have always wanted to open my own business and have been seriously considering opening one from home. I don't need to make a lot of money, i don't want to employ people or anything I just can't figure out what to do. I have thought about novelty things like signs and homeade things etc... or maybe some sort of outsourcing from smaller companies that need help where i would have a couple of employees...Just something small that would give me income.

Point is I can't decide what to do. I live in a smaller area, and the economy isn't very good. I have a job now but I don't think it will be here long. I have always wanted to be a sahm but I want to have income, I don't want it to be all on dh.

If you have done it, what advice can you give, what do you do for your business.. and if you don't mind sharing what did it cost you to start? I think the cost to start is what is the hardest for me, I'm so nervous about that.

If you haven't done it... any imput you may have is awesome! Or share what you have always wanted to do!

Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Selling homemade goods on Etsy.com

You can try Mary K, Avon, Scentsy, etc., type things?

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Figure out what you can do, what you like to do. Get ideas from books. What would work in one town might not work in another.

Some that will work anywhere are
cleaning homes
walking dogs
being a companion for an elderly person, etc

Rach7224
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

hmm I never thougth of that. Thanks!

Quoting BEXi:

Selling homemade goods on Etsy.com

You can try Mary K, Avon, Scentsy, etc., type things?

Rach7224
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I have considered those i really would prefer things from home. Thank you!

Quoting AllofFive19:

Figure out what you can do, what you like to do. Get ideas from books. What would work in one town might not work in another.

Some that will work anywhere are
cleaning homes
walking dogs
being a companion for an elderly person, etc

Rach7224
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

bump

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I sell pampered chef and really enjoy it. One of the home party biz options might be a good start especially if you have never done a home biz before since they usually have alot of training and resources. Even if you dont end up sticking with it the learning experience might be worth it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rach7224
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I have a friend that did this. This really didn't do well where we live, but I love the products, and thanks for the idea!

Quoting Kermitthemom23:

I sell pampered chef and really enjoy it. One of the home party biz options might be a good start especially if you have never done a home biz before since they usually have alot of training and resources. Even if you dont end up sticking with it the learning experience might be worth it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I'm a virtual assistant and direct sale consultant, but getting out of the direct sale business.

I sold Tastefully Simple for 5 years and I love it, I just don't have time anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

SOB, you stole my idea...freak'n seriously ! lol  Of course....a person's art is "one of a kind" so paint away.

Rach7224
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

What is a virtual assistant because if its what i think it is, how do you get started?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a virtual assistant and direct sale consultant, but getting out of the direct sale business.

I sold Tastefully Simple for 5 years and I love it, I just don't have time anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN