Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Custody question????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
My dds dad is a loser pos who has nothing to do with her. I made a comment about him signing rights over and his mom said she o him to sign them over to her. Can he do that, if so could she fight me for some kind of custody? His parents are involved with dd, but in no way do I want them having any kind of say.

Edit: I live in north carolina and we don't have grandparent rights here.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure.... Here's a bump for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

no he cant

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
No he can't. .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EAzizM
by Erica on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
No. In most states he can only sign rights over if the spouse of the other parent is willing to adopt.
other_mother
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Depends on your state. My friend's ex signed his rights for his daughter over to my friend. She now parents and has as much say in his daughter's life as his daughter's mother.

That was way convoluted to type.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I dont think so. In most states if a guy wants to sign over his rights, another man has to step up and adopt the child.

kidlover2
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Depends on the state. Most of the time, he won't be able to sign over his rights unless there is someone to sign them over to. In NY, it doesn't matter because 4 years from now, he can come back and demand his rights and visitation back and be given it.
EmBoogRaysMommy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I don't think he could do that without your approval. When DS's BM signed over her custodial rights to me and DH, the paperwork had to be signed by her, our attorney, me, and DH. Otherwise the judge would never have approved it. But we are in TX. I would think that all states would go by this but I could be wrong. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Nope bit check your states laws in grandparents rights because even if he signs his rights over they could fight you for visitation just like he could
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Usually the court won't let a guy sign over his rights unless there is a step parent figure.  I see it posted all the time about how men should sign over their rights and all this, but in most cases it just isn't even allowed.  

So, you should look up laws in your state.  Grandparents rights are unconstitutional in some states unless a parent is dead but I don't know about this one.  You might be better off to develop an understanding that he stays out of your life and you don't go after him for CS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)