Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do your kids/will your kids....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Eat lunch at school, or will you/do you make them lunches?

my son is only 4 right now, but I will be making his lunches every day for school! I personally feel the lunches are gross and unhealthy, and for cheaper than hot lunch I can provide a tastier & healthier lunch for my kids! 

The "fruit" they serve is soaked in juices and sugar!

the meat they serve is not "real meat"

IMO school lunches are no better thn fast food...it's cheap, they buy in bulk......

What do your kids do? What will you do when your kids are in school???

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Quoting BeautyFull:

My kids (6 &12) started out getting lunches from school but they hated it so I had to start making them lunches.  I am bored with their lunch can you share some ideas?

I haven't had to start this yet :) but I have already started a folder on Pinterest with ideas :) if you are on Pinterest type in the search box "kids lunches for school" you will find tons of cute simple ideas :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

My kids have the option each day. If they want hot lunch I give them $2.50. If they want cold lunch then we make a llunch hot lunch isn't anything like it was when I went to school.they have a fruit and salad bar open throughout and the kids can go back as many times as they want. Along with several cchoices the lunch they set for the day or a cheese burger, pizza, or cheese ssandwich they only get white milk or water at school

mom2ljh
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM
My son eats at school. Lunch is included in tuition and the meals are healthier than public school lunches. They're balanced and the kids are encouraged to try new things.
And if he doesn't want any of the hot choices, he can have a sandwich or salad from the salad and sandwich bar. There isn't much I could send from home that he can't get at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM

My ds 8 in second grade packs most days.  They have real healthy choices so I don't mind.  He will pack occasionally if he does not like the hot choice.  

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I'm hoping to pack my son's lunch the majority of the time, but our district has everything online. We can view the menu and pay for the meals all on the website, so he can pick ahead of time according to the menu if he wants to eat the school lunch or not.

Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

When I went to school I was in private school.  We had 8 people to a round table, set with china, silverware, and white linen.  They would serve us meals like beef wellington or coq au vin for lunch.  Of course we also had soup, salad, and dessert.  In the mornings we had "mid morning lunch", which was tea and biscuits.  Mid afternoon we would have afternoon tea with small cakes.

When my children went to school I initially sent them to public school.  I had never been to public school and knew nothing about it, so I assumed it was the same as what I experienced.  I was young and naive.  After about two weeks my daughter confessed that she HATED her school lunches.  I was shocked!  My mother couldn't cook and school lunches were the only thing that staved off starvation in my youth.

So I dug a bit deeper about the culinary experience and found they were feeding her things I would never have fed her at home:  tater tots, hot dogs, pizza.  All foods I considered occasional junk food, if I knew what they were.  (I had to call friends to understand what a tater tot was)

I made her lunches until she transferred schools.

Jebekarue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I use to make their lunches when they were in elementary.  The times we qualified for free/reduced lunch they ate at school.  DD gets free breakfast and they are both on reduced right now. My ds complains the portions aren't enough at the high school so he ends up coming home and eating a snack.  I keep telling him to throw some fruit and a snack in a bag to supplement but he wont do it.  They both constantly complain about how crappy the lunches are but refuse to bring their lunches cause "NOONE" brings their lunches.  I tell them they can starve if they don't like the choices when they choose not to bring from home especially when we have a lunch calendar and they know what the meal will be for the day.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I make them a lunchbox every day.

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM
I will probably pack his lunch until he asks to eat at school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Oh.No am not on Pinterest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BeautyFull:

My kids (6 &12) started out getting lunches from school but they hated it so I had to start making them lunches.  I am bored with their lunch can you share some ideas?

I haven't had to start this yet :) but I have already started a folder on Pinterest with ideas :) if you are on Pinterest type in the search box "kids lunches for school" you will find tons of cute simple ideas :)

Join: Health/Wealthy Mom

It does not matter where you are but where you are goin.      

~Tough times do not last, Tough people do!~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN