Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking Nyquil to fall (and stay) asleep....

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever taken an over-the-counter drug to help you sleep?

Options:

Yes, but only OTC drugs designed to be sleep aids

Yes, 'night-time cold medicines", even when I don't have a cold

No - I only take night time medicine if I am sick.

No, I never take night time medicine (even if I'm sick)

Other (explain in reply if you wish)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

....I've been having a really hard time falling asleep --- and, once I fall asleep, I wake up just a couple hours later and my mind becomes so active I have an extremely hard time falling back to sleep. (I went through a long time of waking up at 3:00am or 4:00am and staying awake for 2 or 3 hours....once I finally fell back to a good sleep, it was time for me to wake up for the day (groggy and soooo tired!)  

I love how relaxed Nyquil makes me feel and the heavy sleep I get (lovely)...I've also had the most vivid and realistic dreams after taking it....

I recently discovered "ZzzzQuil" and feel better about taking that b/c it's meant to be taken as a sleep aid (whereas Nyquil is meant for help when you are sick)....but, ZzzQuil doesn't have quite the same sedative effects as Nyquil.

I never thought I would take over the counter medication to sleep.....but my sleep has been so much better since I started.

Have any of you used an over the counter drug to help with sleep (whether or not the drug was designed as a sleep aid)??

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I have a chronic cough, and before I got my bipap machine, I had horrible sleep issues. I kept a bottle of NyQuil cough in my bedside drawer and it saved my sanity. 

emmah142
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Hugs! Life is hard with no sleep. I have the same problem and I take Benadryl. It usually works and doesn't leave me too groggy in the morning.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

NyQuil is the debil!!!!  I use to take benadryl all the time to help me sleep then someone told me it was addictive and to stop and since then I can not sleep to save my life...they said it's like a withdrawal...

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Yeah me too...till I was told it was adictive...if you stop taking it you're screwed!!!

Quoting emmah142:

Hugs! Life is hard with no sleep. I have the same problem and I take Benadryl. It usually works and doesn't leave me too groggy in the morning.

Jebekarue
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

All zzzquil is is benadryl.  We had a friend who raved about it, so we went to look at it.  I told her save yourself some $$$ and take a couple of benadryl.  Have you tried melatonin? That is suppose to be non habit forming and all natural.  Walmart has it and its not that expensive.

one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

NyQuil is the debil!!!!  I use to take benadryl all the time to help me sleep then someone told me it was addictive and to stop and since then I can not sleep to save my life...they said it's like a withdrawal...

It's weird to me that they would say "ZzzQuil" is "non-habit forming".......I would think ANYTHING that makes you feel sleepy, relaxed, when your 'normal' state is anything-but, could be 'habit forming"....

After a couple nights of taking "ZzzQuil", I feel it isn't as 'powerful' as NyQuil.....

that said, the ONLY reason I tried either of them was because I was having such a hard time sleeping....so, to say "I can't sleep without it", was true BEFORE I tried taking it...

I do believe if I exercised more, I would sleep better - but have a hard time finding the energy/motivation and time to exercise enough to help my sleep.

Sigh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I have taken benadryl from time to time.
one_on_the_way
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting Jebekarue:

All zzzquil is is benadryl.  We had a friend who raved about it, so we went to look at it.  I told her save yourself some $$$ and take a couple of benadryl.  Have you tried melatonin? That is suppose to be non habit forming and all natural.  Walmart has it and its not that expensive.

Probably a stupid question (but am too lazy to google right now)....isn't benadryl what people use when they have hives or bug bites?  Or am I thinking of something else?

redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
After I add up the years... I am sad to say I have taken tylenol pm for over 20 years (minus 4 pregnancies and nursing). Every night without fail. And the radio.

Dh falls asleep almost as soon as his head hits the pillow.
sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I do it probably more than I should.
but I have anxiety problems and is rather take a tbsp of NyQuil to sleep than a bunch of Xanax.
just my thought process.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN