Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mother in laws

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How to keep mother in laws at arms length ?

Mine gets in my DH ear then the next thing I know everything I thought we agreed on ....we don't

She tries to tell our DD'S what to wear if we go somewhere,drives me crazy!

We used to get along really well,then she got really rude,made nasty comments towards my family.So I stopped talking to her.She moved 4 hours away but it hasn't stopped her.HELP ANY ADVICE without me being rude back towards her.I don't want my DD'S to see me act the same way she does.They already see how she acts.I want to be better than that.

Sorry if I didnt space my words right,or if I have run on sentences .I just need advice.Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Honestly get a life ..mother in laws..mothers in law ..lord

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Pop on over to the MIL boards... find one called My Mother Inlaw is a Crapburger.

You'll get some advice there...

Step out of the situation with her.   If she emails you, forward the email to your DH and don't respond.   If she calls, don't answer.   If she leaves a message, let DH hear it and let him call her. 

In person, though, it's harder to handle.   What I would do is repeat what people say back to them... example,...

"I don't like the clothes you let the girls wear, it makes them look trashy."

"You think my girls are trashy?"   Shocked look and gasp!

She should back pedal... but don't let her.

"If you didn't mean it that way, then you shouldn't have said it that way... "   Said both calmly, but a little authoritatively.   After all, she's complaining about YOUR girls... YOU have the authority to let her know that she needs to check herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I hope you children aren't so resistant to learning proper grammar; most decent people appreciate being corrected when they sound ignorant from a lack of proper grammar. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Oh wow then I wouldn't suggest leaving over this necessarily since you've been married for so long. Has he said anything to his mother?

Quoting Anonymous:

I should also mention we have been married for almost 16 years.You would think enough is enough.

Quoting childofgod04:

That is a difficult situation. Have you tried getting your DH to talk to her? If that doesn't work then I seriously think you all need to distance yourselves from her. DH included. If he doesn't want to then I would leave. Not necessarily permanently but until he realizes what he's losing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have many times told her how I feel.She doesn't seem to listen or she is always right.When I first meet her I was 17.She didn't like me ,then my DH father dies and we became close.It seems like these last few years though have been awful,pure hell ! She would email saying she was so sorry my mom didnt raise me better.She says some really hurtful things.Then she thinks everything is ok the next day .I dont get over stuff like that so quickly it was mean.She is always in my DH ear saying god knows what.I know this because when he is home we are happy and on the same page about raising our kids.Then he goes and visits his mom comes back and all of his way of thinking has changed and we fight.

Quoting childofgod04:

I would just confront her and tell her how you feel and if she doesn't listen then she can't be around your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Get a life.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope you children aren't so resistant to learning proper grammar; most decent people appreciate being corrected when they sound ignorant from a lack of proper grammar. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Ohhhh those crazy Russians, LOL.

I'll have to tell DH that he's not actually Mexican, he's Jewish. Biggest shocker of his life, I'm sure!

Quoting svolkov:

Just blow it off. Mines nuts. She thinks cuddling a boy past 2 will make him gay...mom wears a skirt at home amd he wont be gay. Diabetes is caused by being a jew, fans make you sick, you should always drink your milk warm....I could keep going lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I have one, thank you; as a sixth and seventh grade English teacher.

I appreciate your concern, though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Lol the funniest thing is that its a religion NOT a race lol

Quoting robibuni:

Ohhhh those crazy Russians, LOL.

I'll have to tell DH that he's not actually Mexican, he's Jewish. Biggest shocker of his life, I'm sure!

Quoting svolkov:

Just blow it off. Mines nuts. She thinks cuddling a boy past 2 will make him gay...mom wears a skirt at home amd he wont be gay. Diabetes is caused by being a jew, fans make you sick, you should always drink your milk warm....I could keep going lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Hence not being abke to curb the need to correct lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I have one, thank you; as a sixth and seventh grade English teacher.

I appreciate your concern, though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Get a life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I wish I could help.

My MIL is pretty sneaky and controlling like that as well, but the big difference is, DH agrees with ME. He married ME. He backs ME. She gets her panties in a wad the minute she doesn't get her way but he says "I know it may hurt her feelings or piss her off, but I'm not a fucking child and deserve at least an ounce of respect". He's 30 years old, you'd think she'd chill the EFF out!!

Just talk to him about how you're feeling...tell him if he wants to be with his mother, he can go be with her. He married you, and you have to parent as a team, without the interference of her majesty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)