Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mother in laws

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How to keep mother in laws at arms length ?

Mine gets in my DH ear then the next thing I know everything I thought we agreed on ....we don't

She tries to tell our DD'S what to wear if we go somewhere,drives me crazy!

We used to get along really well,then she got really rude,made nasty comments towards my family.So I stopped talking to her.She moved 4 hours away but it hasn't stopped her.HELP ANY ADVICE without me being rude back towards her.I don't want my DD'S to see me act the same way she does.They already see how she acts.I want to be better than that.

Sorry if I didnt space my words right,or if I have run on sentences .I just need advice.Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You should talk to your DH about it and be open with MIL. You can nicely tell her to back off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Now I need you to be completely honest.  You are saying that if the superintendent of your school made a grammar mistake during a school board meeting, that he/she would welcome you interupting his presentation to point out that mistake?  That is your stance?  And you are also stating that you make it a common practice in your life to bestow this courtesy on everyone, people such as your pastor, physician, grocery clerk, and hair dresser? And all praise you for taking the time to correct their sentence structure? All of them?  That is the statement you're making?

Quote:

I just think its a common courtesy to correct other's grammar

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Easy, she lives in another state.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Who said anything about Native Americans? A reading comprehension class may be in order as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

When did I ever say I was a native American.Have you ever heard of sometimes when others speak who aren't sometimes words get mixed up.You shouldn't always assume.Yes I did go to Yale don't care if you believe or not .That is not what I posted about to begin with.Also I came here not knowing any english finished highschool.I teach our kids if you work hard you can achieve anything you want and I did.I am very proud.

Quoting Anonymous:

You went to Yale and don't even know the plural of "mother n law"? I don't believe you. I don't need to pretend that I went to an ivy league school, I graduated from Concord College, class of '98. I have no insecurities, I just think its a common courtesy to correct other's grammar; I sure would appreciate others correcting mine if I sounded like someone taking English as a second language... perhaps that's just because I value knowledge more than the average 'merican.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ma'am what college did you go to that allowed or handed you a degree?I myself went to Yale hopefully my kids will folllow.You shouldn't always past judgement .Haven't you heard that said before? Did your mother or dad ever teach you that? Sounds to me like maybe you are little insecure,that could be why you feel the need to pick on others .

Quoting Anonymous:

Ahhh, it warms my soul to see children overcome the ignorance of their parents. Good on them!

Quoting Anonymous:

The only problem is I didn't ask for this "favor"you gave.I am not your student.I didn't get pissy with you.Get off your high horsepeople like you who say I am a teacher I know everything .Your kids must be awful,trash,dumb etc WRONG.My daughters are a A honor and in sports.So stop judging,no one is perfect .You are not perfect..Bless your heart and the students you teach.To say you never make a mistake makes me laugh !!!! BLESS YOUR HEART

Quoting Anonymous:

No, what's silly is for someone to get pissy when another person corrects their grammar because doing so is a favor. If you behave that way, it is safe to assume that you have taught your offspring to do so as well... and that's why kids today don't know how to speak properly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not sure why my children are being brought into to this? I asked advise about my MIL.Why are you being so mean towards me?Is it only because I wrote mother in laws ??? Now that sounds silly for a grown woman.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope you children aren't so resistant to learning proper grammar; most decent people appreciate being corrected when they sound ignorant from a lack of proper grammar. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly get a life ..mother in laws..mothers in law ..lord

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yes, I correct other people's grammar, and they generally say, "thank you". Perhaps I just choose to surround myself with reasonable people who appreciate knowledge.

Quoting Anonymous:

Now I need you to be completely honest.  You are saying that if the superintendent of your school made a grammar mistake during a school board meeting, that he/she would welcome you interupting his presentation to point out that mistake?  That is your stance?  And you are also stating that you make it a common practice in your life to bestow this courtesy on everyone, people such as your pastor, physician, grocery clerk, and hair dresser? And all praise you for taking the time to correct their sentence structure? All of them?  That is the statement you're making?

Quote:

I just think its a common courtesy to correct other's grammar

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good for you. I will poke certain people for grammar if they are being obnoxious but what is going on in this thread is silly.

What does your DH say about the MIL issue?

Quoting Anonymous:

When did I ever say I was a native American.Have you ever heard of sometimes when others speak who aren't sometimes words get mixed up.You shouldn't always assume.Yes I did go to Yale don't care if you believe or not .That is not what I posted about to begin with.Also I came here not knowing any english finished highschool.I teach our kids if you work hard you can achieve anything you want and I did.I am very proud.

Quoting Anonymous:

You went to Yale and don't even know the plural of "mother n law"? I don't believe you. I don't need to pretend that I went to an ivy league school, I graduated from Concord College, class of '98. I have no insecurities, I just think its a common courtesy to correct other's grammar; I sure would appreciate others correcting mine if I sounded like someone taking English as a second language... perhaps that's just because I value knowledge more than the average 'merican.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ma'am what college did you go to that allowed or handed you a degree?I myself went to Yale hopefully my kids will folllow.You shouldn't always past judgement .Haven't you heard that said before? Did your mother or dad ever teach you that? Sounds to me like maybe you are little insecure,that could be why you feel the need to pick on others .

Quoting Anonymous:

Ahhh, it warms my soul to see children overcome the ignorance of their parents. Good on them!

Quoting Anonymous:

The only problem is I didn't ask for this "favor"you gave.I am not your student.I didn't get pissy with you.Get off your high horsepeople like you who say I am a teacher I know everything .Your kids must be awful,trash,dumb etc WRONG.My daughters are a A honor and in sports.So stop judging,no one is perfect .You are not perfect..Bless your heart and the students you teach.To say you never make a mistake makes me laugh !!!! BLESS YOUR HEART

Quoting Anonymous:

No, what's silly is for someone to get pissy when another person corrects their grammar because doing so is a favor. If you behave that way, it is safe to assume that you have taught your offspring to do so as well... and that's why kids today don't know how to speak properly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not sure why my children are being brought into to this? I asked advise about my MIL.Why are you being so mean towards me?Is it only because I wrote mother in laws ??? Now that sounds silly for a grown woman.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope you children aren't so resistant to learning proper grammar; most decent people appreciate being corrected when they sound ignorant from a lack of proper grammar. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

SillySally83
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Ignore her, and remind your husband that you are his wife, not her; if you two are in agreement then the matter is settled, no matter what his mommy has to say about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM
You just stated I need to take English as a second course .Didn't you ????
I find it soooooooooooo funny you don't have the balls to respond to all the others who are coming down on about your comments just me...hmmmm BULLY !!!!! GO TO BED GET READY FOR SCHOOL IF YOU ARE REALLY A TEACHER ! I BET YOU JUST LIKE RUNNING YOUR MOUTH THOUGH BECAUSE YOUR BEHIND THAT COMPUTER ! IT'S CALLED HAVING COMPUTER BALLS ,WON'T SAY IT FACE TO FACE ONLY ONLY THROUGH A COMPUTER!

Quoting Anonymous:

Who said anything about Native Americans? A reading comprehension class may be in order as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I apologize to the OP for going off topic but I have to say this... there is a difference between correcting a person's grammar and being condesending.  To the OP- if nothing else, you have to be greatful that at least this person is not your MIL!

Quote:

Yes, I correct other people's grammar, and they generally say, "thank you". Perhaps I just choose to surround myself with reasonable people who appreciate knowledge.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I did not, I said I would appreciate being corrected if I sounded like someone who is taking English as a second language, and that still says nothing about Native Americans. Again, reading comprehension darling. And I don't have to go to bed, I'm on maternity leave. I'm not a bully, if you would stop responding with silly statements, poor grammar and a complete lack of understanding of the words you are reading, you wouldn't hear from me again. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You just stated I need to take English as a second course .Didn't you ????
I find it soooooooooooo funny you don't have the balls to respond to all the others who are coming down on about your comments just me...hmmmm BULLY !!!!! GO TO BED GET READY FOR SCHOOL IF YOU ARE REALLY A TEACHER ! I BET YOU JUST LIKE RUNNING YOUR MOUTH THOUGH BECAUSE YOUR BEHIND THAT COMPUTER ! IT'S CALLED HAVING COMPUTER BALLS ,WON'T SAY IT FACE TO FACE ONLY ONLY THROUGH A COMPUTER!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*Mothers in law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)