Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

$ per hour

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
Starting this weekend I am going to start looking after two young kids (both boys) a few days a week. How much should i ask for per hour. I will be providing all meals, and driving them around town to various places their father requested i take them on a daily basis. The younger boy (2 1/2) has special needs. I live in michigan.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

out here babysitters make $10-$12/ hour... and you are doing much more than a sitter would do.  I would keep track of gas and charge him separately for that.... at $4.25 a gallon I wouldnt take a chance of miscalculating that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Keeping track of the gas is a great idea. I hadnt thought of that, thanks! I feel like that range is fair but I don't think the parents earn more than 10 an hour themselves so im not sure what to ask for without losing out on money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I would charge a weekly rate plus expenses. Most places around here charge $80 a week, but that's bag lunch and they don't go anywhere lol.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

4.50 an hour and they pay for gas and all expenses going out-

Quoting Anonymous:

Keeping track of the gas is a great idea. I hadnt thought of that, thanks! I feel like that range is fair but I don't think the parents earn more than 10 an hour themselves so im not sure what to ask for without losing out on money.

aikimomof3
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I would first ask them what they were thinking of paying you, and then negotiate from there.

Quoting Anonymous:

jedwards2009
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I Think a daily rate would ve better. Like 30$ a day each kid. Would make it easier to track.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I'd ask for at least minimum wage.

I babysit part time. They have a dd that's 14 and a ds that's 11 (and an older dd that's away at college). No special needs. I watch them at their house, drive them around to activities. Ds can come with me and they always tell me and ds to help ourselves to whatever food and stuff. They sometimes give us money to go out for lunch or to a movie or whatever...and they pay for me and my son. After taxes, my take home is just over $17/hr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)